Problem With Posting In PreCalc Subforum

• Thread starter Sainguin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of posting in the precalc subforum and the appropriate place for homework questions. It is mentioned that complete answers are not allowed and homework helpers should only guide students. The conversation also touches on the topic of tutoring, clarifying that it is not allowed for money but can be done out of kindness. The main goal is to understand the math behind physics and astrophysics. The conversation also highlights the philosophy of not giving answers but helping students reach the answer on their own.
Sainguin
Not sure if this is the place for this or not but I can't seem to post in the precalc subforum. Anyone know what that's about?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean here?

What is the problem with posting?

Sainguin said:
Not sure if this is the place for this or not but I can't seem to post in the precalc subforum. Anyone know what that's about?
If one is referring to the Learning Materials section, we do have restrictions on folks starting threads. Borek has pointed to the Precalculus Homework forum, which is the appropriate place for homework and similar questions on precalculus mathematics.

Yea it was the Learning Materials section. I'm going to use the homework help one. Thanks for the help guys.

Another question real quick, is the homework subforum the place to ask if anyone is interested in tutoring?

Sainguin said:
Yea it was the Learning Materials section. I'm going to use the homework help one. Thanks for the help guys.

Another question real quick, is the homework subforum the place to ask if anyone is interested in tutoring?
Yes - folks are encouraged to provide others with assistance. Complete answers are not to be given.

Students are expected to demonstrate effort and show work. Homework helpers and member assisting other members are expected to guide the student, but not provide answers. Confirming an answer once the student works through the solution is fine.

Sainguin said:

If you mean with this: asking for somebody who can tutor you for money, then this not allowed anywhere on this forum. This forum is not for sollicitation of any kind, unless approved by the mentors.

micromass said:
If you mean with this: asking for somebody who can tutor you for money, then this not allowed anywhere on this forum. This forum is not for sollicitation of any kind, unless approved by the mentors.

On the other hand, if you mean helping out with the homework help tutoring, you don't even really need to ask. Just make sure you follow the guidelines on tutoring, which I summarize below.

1. Be nice.
2. Don't give complete answers.
3. Be nice.

micromass said:

Definitely not for money. Just out of kindness lol. I dropped out of high school in tenth grade (various reasons, no need to get into it here) and I was never very good at math. I just need some help figuring out where I'm at with math and then help learning what I need to learn.

My main goal is to get to where I can understand the math behind most physics and astrophysics.

EDIT: I like the philosophy of not giving answers but helping students get to the answer. Very good way to teach.

Sainguin said:
Definitely not for money. Just out of kindness lol. I dropped out of high school in tenth grade (various reasons, no need to get into it here) and I was never very good at math. I just need some help figuring out where I'm at with math and then help learning what I need to learn.

My main goal is to get to where I can understand the math behind most physics and astrophysics.

EDIT: I like the philosophy of not giving answers but helping students get to the answer. Very good way to teach.

Oh, in that case, you're very welcome to post in our homework forums! :smile:

1. What is the PreCalc Subforum?

The PreCalc Subforum is a section of an online forum dedicated to discussing topics related to Precalculus, which is a high school level math course covering topics such as functions, trigonometry, and algebraic equations.

2. What are some common problems that people encounter when posting in the PreCalc Subforum?

Some common problems that people encounter when posting in the PreCalc Subforum include not receiving helpful responses, not following the forum's guidelines or posting requirements, and not clearly stating their question or topic.

3. How can I ensure that my post in the PreCalc Subforum is well-received?

To ensure that your post is well-received in the PreCalc Subforum, make sure to follow the forum's guidelines and posting requirements, clearly state your question or topic, and provide any necessary details or context. It can also be helpful to proofread your post before submitting it to ensure clarity and accuracy.

4. Are there any specific formatting or language guidelines for posting in the PreCalc Subforum?

While specific formatting and language guidelines may vary based on the forum, it is generally recommended to use clear and concise language, use proper grammar and punctuation, and avoid using slang or informal language. Some forums may also have specific formatting requirements, such as using math notation or providing a specific subject line.

5. What should I do if I don't receive a helpful response to my post in the PreCalc Subforum?

If you don't receive a helpful response to your post in the PreCalc Subforum, try rephrasing or clarifying your question, providing more information or context, or reaching out to other members of the forum for assistance. You can also try posting your question in a different section of the forum or seeking help from a teacher or tutor.