Powering my xbox with batteries

• Thread starter vincent_vega
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Batteries
In summary, a copper-zinc battery could only power an Xbox 360 for a short amount of time due to the high current it requires. Alternatives such as using watch batteries or a can of coke may be more practical.
vincent_vega
I need to do a project for my electricity/magnetism class, and I thought about making several copper/zinc batteries to power my xbox360. Suppose I get huge strips of copper and zinc and put them in a fish tank full of salt water. How many volts do you think I could get out of this? Is there a practical way to get 120V by putting together several of these?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums!

First off, what level of class is this (middle school, high school, university)?

A standard copper-zinc cell creates about 1.1 V:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/chemical/electrochem.html

As you're probably learning, or about to learn, in order to get higher voltages, you'd need to put them in series:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series_and_parallel_circuits#Cells_and_batteries

However, that 120 V coming out of your wall isn't DC, but rather, AC. Since the XBox (and most electronics) don't actually run off of AC, the usually have power adapters that provide DC output. In the case of the XBox or XBox 360, that's only 12V DC. However, it requires a great deal of current--over 10 A (it's left as an exercise to the reader to understand this paragraph!)

Long story short, it's probably more instructive and significantly easier to pursue a different project. For instance, an old-school Baghdad battery:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baghdad_Battery

Bonus points for linking this into Archimedes! But please refrain from dancing naked in the streets... :wink:

University, it's a fun extra credit thing. I failed to realize that it's AC coming out of the wall :/ I'll look into those baghdad batteries though.

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
I was looking at my 360 power adapter a couple nights ago since my friend laughed at how big it was. That thing was capable of almost 200W. I doubt you can find a battery that will last very long to run that.

vincent_vega said:
University, it's a fun extra credit thing. I failed to realize that it's AC coming out of the wall :/
I'm just curious; what attracted you to a university course that teaches electricity/magnetism?

cmb said:
I'm just curious; what attracted you to a university course that teaches electricity/magnetism?

It's physics. general physics II

cmb said:
what attracted you to a university course that teaches electricity/magnetism?
Magnetic attraction, maybe? :wink:

vincent_vega said:
I need to do a project for my electricity/magnetism class, and I thought about making several copper/zinc batteries to power my xbox360.
Now that others have put the kibosh on that idea, consider alternatives. Something that operates from those small flat watch batteries, maybe? Perhaps get a cheap calculator and make a couple of wet cells to equal the voltage you measure of the calculator cell. The current it needs will be tiny, so your homemade cells should be able to power it (for a while, at least).

Can use a can of coke, where the can already furnishes one of the metals in contact with the acidic solution. (I thought the inside of drink cans was thinly painted with a plastic to minimize the drink dissolving metal, but apparently it is not a perfect coating, or something...)

NascentOxygen said:
Now that others have put the kibosh on that idea, consider alternatives. Something that operates from those small flat watch batteries, maybe? Perhaps get a cheap calculator and make a couple of wet cells to equal the voltage you measure of the calculator cell. The current it needs will be tiny, so your homemade cells should be able to power it (for a while, at least).

Can use a can of coke, where the can already furnishes one of the metals in contact with the acidic solution. (I thought the inside of drink cans was thinly painted with a plastic to minimize the drink dissolving metal, but apparently it is not a perfect coating, or something...)

Yeah I guess I'll have to scale it down. It's not as impressive as if I would have powered up the 360 to play a couple seconds of halo, but something like that works too.

What type of batteries should I use to power my Xbox?

It is recommended to use AA batteries for powering your Xbox. Make sure to use high-quality, alkaline batteries for best performance.

How many batteries do I need to power my Xbox?

The Xbox controller requires two AA batteries to function properly. So, you will need a total of 4 AA batteries to power both controllers.

Can I use rechargeable batteries to power my Xbox?

Yes, you can use rechargeable batteries to power your Xbox. However, make sure to fully charge them before use for optimal performance.

How long will the batteries last when powering my Xbox?

The lifespan of the batteries will vary depending on the type and quality of batteries used, as well as the amount of time the Xbox is used. On average, AA batteries can last anywhere from 20-40 hours.

Can I use a battery pack to power my Xbox instead of individual batteries?

Yes, you can use a battery pack specifically designed for Xbox controllers to power your Xbox. This can be a more cost-effective and environmentally friendly option compared to using disposable batteries.