Would different intensities affect the droptime of parachutes?

In summary, the drop time of two parachutes will be the same if the wind intensity they experience is constant and uniform relative to the ground. Any horizontal movement caused by wind will not significantly affect the fall time as long as the vertical height remains the same. This is due to the drag force being more than proportional to the relative speed of the parachutist and the wind.
GuMing
Would the drop time of two parachute be the same if the wind intensity they experience is different? (Assuming everything is the same).

I know the fact that the wind caused them to fall sideways would not cause a difference since the vertical height is the same. Could anyone please tell me the answer? Your help would be greatly appreciated. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
GuMing said:
Would the drop time of two parachute be the same if the wind intensity they experience is different? (Assuming everything is the same).
What do you mean by "wind intensity they experience". The wind relative to them or the true wind over ground?
GuMing said:
I know the fact that the wind caused them to fall sideways would not cause a difference since the vertical height is the same.
That is correct for constant uniform wind over ground.

What I mean is the wind that is not from their top and bottom, but from their left, right, front or back.

GuMing said:
What I mean is the wind that is not from their top and bottom, but from their left, right, front or back.
I understand that the wind is horizontal. My question was if it is air movement relative to the ground, or relative to the parachuted object that is supposed to be different.

Different constant uniform winds relative to the ground will not affect the fall time.

Dropped from a stationary point, there will be a slight slowing early in the descent, before the horizontal movement of the parachutist has matched the windspeed.
The reason is the same one that makes a cyclist struggle in a perfect crosswind - that drag is more than proportional to relative speed. If the cyclist has roadspeed V and the crosswind is W, the nett wind is (V^2+W^2)^(1/2). If the drag goes as the cube of speed then the drag force is (V^2+W^2)^(3/2). The component of this that retards the cyclist is ((V^2+W^2)^(3/2))(V/(V^2+W^2)^(1/2)) = (V^2+W^2).V, rather more than the V^3 of calm conditions.

Last edited:

1. How does the intensity of air resistance affect the droptime of parachutes?

The intensity of air resistance has a direct impact on the droptime of parachutes. As the intensity of air resistance increases, the droptime decreases because the parachute experiences a stronger force pushing against it, causing it to fall faster.

2. Does the size of the parachute affect the droptime at different intensities?

Yes, the size of the parachute can affect the droptime at different intensities. A larger parachute will experience more air resistance, causing it to fall slower compared to a smaller parachute at the same intensity. However, the droptime will still decrease as the intensity of air resistance increases.

3. How does the weight of the parachute affect the droptime at different intensities?

The weight of the parachute does not directly affect the droptime at different intensities. However, a heavier parachute may experience more air resistance, causing it to fall slower compared to a lighter parachute at the same intensity. The droptime will still decrease as the intensity of air resistance increases.

4. Can the material of the parachute affect the droptime at different intensities?

Yes, the material of the parachute can affect the droptime at different intensities. A parachute made of a denser material will experience more air resistance, causing it to fall slower compared to a parachute made of a lighter material at the same intensity. The droptime will still decrease as the intensity of air resistance increases.

5. What other factors, besides intensity, can affect the droptime of parachutes?

Besides intensity, other factors that can affect the droptime of parachutes include the design and shape of the parachute, the altitude at which it is dropped, and external factors such as wind and temperature. These factors can impact the amount of air resistance and ultimately affect the droptime of the parachute.