Can Proper Nutrition and Sun Exposure Speed Up Nail Growth?

• Medical
  • Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
In summary, if you have a toe that is hurting, you should probably go to the doctor. There is not much that you can do to speed up the process of nails growing, but maybe you can make sure that your toe is protected from further impact.
leroyjenkens
I smashed my toe so bad that the nail fell off. I've been to the doctor and he's just waiting for it to grow out to see what it's going to do. Is there any way to make nails grow faster? I've tried taking biotin, but I can't tell if that does anything. Anyone have any other ideas?

Biology news on Phys.org
Protect your toe from further impact, wear shoes that are loose fitting. That's probably the best you can do, that way your nail bed can work most efficiently.

From my own experience, it will stop hurting in less than a week, but it might take 6 months to regrow a complete nail.

If it doesn't stop hurting, probably there is a bit of broken nail stuck somewhere that it shouldn't be, so you need to get that removed (that's not exactly a high tech medical procedure, but can be hard to see what you are doing to your own feet so you probably need to get somebody else to do it!)

If you can't wiggle your toes inside your shoes they are too tight anyway, whether or not you have a broken nail.

Maybe you'll find something in this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2249062/ The author has measured the growth of his fingernails for 35 years or so. Nail growth seems to be pretty constant unless you are sick. And apparently they grow faster for some time when they have to make up for lost growth due to illness.

I also think nail growth is pretty constant with proper nutrition, otherwise you'd get horizontal growth lines. The only time that my nails stopped growing was after a trip to the tropics. Probably either the strong sun or altered diet were to blame. Oh, another time was with wrong shoes: I thought I could walk them in, but ended up throwing them away.

It's well known that people who walk a lot can get nail problems, that's why the suggestion to take extra care in this time.

1. How can I make my nails grow faster?

There are a few things you can do to help your nails grow faster. First, make sure you are getting enough nutrients in your diet, specifically protein and biotin. Additionally, keeping your nails moisturized and avoiding harsh chemicals can also promote healthy nail growth. Finally, taking breaks from nail polish and using a strengthening base coat can also help your nails grow longer.

2. What vitamins or supplements can I take to make my nails grow faster?

Some vitamins and supplements that have been shown to promote nail growth include biotin, vitamin D, and iron. However, it's important to consult with a healthcare professional before starting any new supplements to ensure they are safe for you and your specific needs.

3. Does filing my nails make them grow faster?

No, filing your nails does not make them grow faster. In fact, excessive filing can actually weaken your nails and make them more prone to breaking. It's best to only file your nails when necessary and in one direction to avoid causing damage.

4. Can I use special nail treatments to make my nails grow faster?

While there are many nail treatments on the market that claim to promote fast nail growth, there is no scientific evidence to support these claims. Instead, focus on maintaining a healthy diet and nail care routine to encourage natural nail growth.

5. How long does it take for nails to grow?

On average, nails grow about 3.5 millimeters per month. This means it can take anywhere from 3-6 months for your nails to grow out completely if they are damaged or broken. However, this can vary for each individual based on factors such as genetics and overall health.