Love UNIX? Share Your Story Here!

• Thread starter franznietzsche
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Love Unix
In summary, the conversation is about different programming languages and environments. The speaker shares their love for working on UNIX servers and the simplicity it offers compared to Windows. They also mention the advantages of using UNIX for programming, such as the intuitive compilers and documentation readily available. Other participants in the conversation discuss their preferences for cross-platform languages and their experiences with different operating systems.
franznietzsche
I just started a FORTRAN 90 programming class this quarter, and we do all our work on the school's UNIX servers, and I love it. The simplicity, no dealing with all the unnecessary crap windows comes attached with.

I just felt like sharing.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Very much share your affection ... doing stuff in Unix after spending time in Win - world is like coming home :smile: .

PerennialII said:
Very much share your affection ... doing stuff in Unix after spending time in Win - world is like coming home :smile: .

It completely is.

It makes me miss MS-DOS. I feel old knowing that i remember using DOS.

UNIX is an excellent environment for any sort of programming. Makefiles, excellent shells, and UNIX compilers are very intuitive when working in a terminal environment.

Man pages are also an added incentive. There's always some documentation a command away for whatever function your curious about when programming.

Last edited:
aggree, but C# .net is on its way up... (waits to be flamed! :rofl: )

.NET = Windows Lock In

I prefer to work with cross platform compatible languages.

Go Python !

Me being a Sun junkie, I'll retaliate with a swift Java recommendation. It's funny, a few months ago I never would've thought of Java as a half-decent language. Things change, though. :approve:

graphic7 said:
Me being a Sun junkie, I'll retaliate with a swift Java recommendation. It's funny, a few months ago I never would've thought of Java as a half-decent language. Things change, though. :approve:

Don't worry. I'll continue not thinking of it as a half-decent language for you. :smile:

master_coda said:
Don't worry. I'll continue not thinking of it as a half-decent language for you. :smile:

You are referring to versions of Java <= 1.2? Yes? :tongue2:

master_coda said:

LoL

--------------------------------------

franznietzsche said:
The simplicity, no dealing with all the unnecessary crap windows comes attached with.

Yeah, eunichs are lacking in attachments.

Dissident Dan said:
LoL

--------------------------------------

Yeah, eunichs are lacking in attachments.

Yes, eunuchs are, but those are necessary attachments.

i resecued a Alpha with OpenVMS and a SCO unix CD set from the computer-recyclers at work :rofl:

its amazing how cool old junk (?) can be! :biggrin:

graphic7: have you seen sun's new err.. windowmanager - lookingglass ? :confused:
ummm here

gazzo said:
i resecued a Alpha with OpenVMS and a SCO unix CD set from the computer-recyclers at work :rofl:

graphic7: have you seen sun's new err.. windowmanager - lookingglass ? :confused:
ummm here

I haven't heard of Looking Glass, but it looks fairly interesting. Right now I'm between JDS (Sun's souped up Gnome2) and CDE. I've been trying to find a love for Gnome2 because I think within the release (or couple of releases) after Solaris 10, they'll be discontinuing CDE support. It's hard to part with it, though.

franznietzsche :

I just love UNIX

I just started a FORTRAN 90 programming class this quarter, and we do all our work on the school's UNIX servers, and I love it. The simplicity, no dealing with all the unnecessary crap windows comes attached with.

-----------------------------------
if you say so, why not, Bill gates once loved Dos

philocrazy said:
franznietzsche :

I just love UNIX

-----------------------------------
if you say so, why not, Bill gates once loved Dos

That hurts, i don't want to be compared to
him

gazzo said:

If I'm not mistaken, OpenVMS is so backwards it uses 1 as default return value for succes and 0 for default return value for failure. Which is aganst POSIX, ANSI-C(unless you use EXIT_SUCCESS and EXIT_FAILURE) and god knows what else :)

I'd really like to get my hands on a OpenVMS-system and see how portable my code really is :)

1. What is UNIX?

UNIX is a computer operating system that was developed in the 1960s and is still used today. It is known for its stability, security, and flexibility.

2. Why is UNIX popular among scientists?

UNIX is popular among scientists because it offers a powerful and versatile platform for running scientific software and analyzing data. It also has a large community of users and developers, making it easy to find support and resources.

3. What are some advantages of using UNIX for scientific research?

Some advantages of using UNIX for scientific research include its ability to handle large datasets and complex calculations, its compatibility with a wide range of programming languages, and its efficient use of system resources.

4. Can I use UNIX if I am not familiar with coding?

While having some coding knowledge can be helpful, it is not necessary to use UNIX for scientific research. There are user-friendly interfaces and software packages that make it accessible to non-coders.

5. Is UNIX still relevant in today's technology landscape?

Absolutely. UNIX is still widely used in many industries, including scientific research, finance, government, and web hosting. Its stability and security make it a reliable choice for critical systems and its open-source nature allows for continuous development and updates.