Is the 4G internet tower harmful for health?

In summary, there is no conclusive evidence that they are harmful, but people will still fear being near them.
arunkumarmna
Hi Friends,

One of the ISP from India is requesting my permission to place the 4G wifi broadband tower on my building [Residence]. I got families, kids and a pregnant lady staying in the building. I am worried will the microwave or radio wave radiation may question their health.

Could you please suggest?

Thank you
Arunkumar

Biology news on Phys.org
Here's a health and wifi report from Canada:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/prod/wifi-eng.php

basically there's no conclusive evidence that they are harmful, but people will still fear being nearthem.

Some years ago there was similar concern with high voltage wires. Farmers knew that you could get a static discharge near them and so didn't want them too close.

http://www.ehow.com/about_5436427_effects-near-power-lines-towers.html

Thank you Jedishrfu, ...wifi-eng.php link states no harm with the wifi devices used in the public areas like in-house transmitters like routers with small radius antena but gives the generic statement from the closed thread "https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=419790&highlight=Wifi+Sector+antenna+health+hazard" there is a possibility of generic/serious health issues depends on the distance from the source.

i am worried because it will be like a base station with tower of multiple sector antennas right above the roof [less than 1 meter if i am not wrong].

arunkumarmna said:
Thank you Jedishrfu, ...wifi-eng.php link states no harm with the wifi devices used in the public areas like in-house transmitters like routers with small radius antena but gives the generic statement from the closed thread "https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=419790&highlight=Wifi+Sector+antenna+health+hazard" there is a possibility of generic/serious health issues depends on the distance from the source.

i am worried because it will be like a base station with tower of multiple sector antennas right above the roof [less than 1 meter if i am not wrong].

Personally, I don't think there's a problem because the energy emanated is too low in frequency and in strength to be able to affect any chemical bonds in your body unlike nuclear radiation and that there may be a lot of other external factors in your own environment that could be more harmful such as cleaning agents or rugs made from formaldihyde, certain kinds of plastics like BPA...

Also these health studies are fraught with politics as the industry tries to influence them and the science is so longterm and statistics based that we just don't know what to think so we fear new things.

Do television towers cause cancer? Radio stations?

These RF bands are extremely low, the average phone might transmit approximately one watt of energy at most. No where near enough to break those delicate strands of DNA.

No, there is no evidence of any risk of health problems from such a station.

The risk you should be worried about is the perception of uneducated people, who may avoid your building because of irrational fears of such things, thus lowering the value of your property.

This would be of interest to you: http://www.who.int/peh-emf/about/WhatisEMF/en/index1.html
Conclusions from scientific research
In the area of biological effects and medical applications of non-ionizing radiation approximately 25,000 articles have been published over the past 30 years. Despite the feeling of some people that more research needs to be done, scientific knowledge in this area is now more extensive than for most chemicals. Based on a recent in-depth review of the scientific literature, the WHO concluded that current evidence does not confirm the existence of any health consequences from exposure to low level electromagnetic fields. However, some gaps in knowledge about biological effects exist and need further research.

arunkumarmna said:
Hi Friends,

One of the ISP from India is requesting my permission to place the 4G wifi broadband tower on my building [Residence]. I got families, kids and a pregnant lady staying in the building. I am worried will the microwave or radio wave radiation may question their health.

Could you please suggest?

Thank you
Arunkumar

arunkumarmna said:

phion said:
Do television towers cause cancer? Radio stations?

These RF bands are extremely low, the average phone might transmit approximately one watt of energy at most. No where near enough to break those delicate strands of DNA.

Monique said:

There is a general confusion in this thread that needs to be cleared up. The OP is asking about a high-power transmitting antenna farm being put on the roof of a residence, not about 1W cell phones.

Monique -- Unless I missed it, the article that you linked to seems to only address the use of personal RF devices and HV power transmission lines, not exposure to high-power RF transmitters in close proximity. (I may have missed it though, if so please correct me)

I personally would not go for the high-power cell phone antennas on top of my residence. I will try to do a bit more reading to see what frequency bands are in the picture and get back to this thread. Please let us confine our posts in this thread to the question of high-power transmitting antennas in the 4G frequency band in close proximity to people living in a residence.

Last edited:
Looks like the 4G frequencies are in the microwave oven band. No, I absolutely would not put a high-power antenna farm on the roof of my residence in the microwave band.

http://vspages.com/4g-vs-wifi-the-difference-between-4g-and-wifi-902/
What is Wifi?

Wifi stands for Wireless Facility and it is a LAN network with a short range of connectivity. This is the type of wireless service that is commonly used in homes. It usually operates in an unallocated frequency band at 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. There are also several varieties of Wifi, such as 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11n. All have the same number. 802.11, but those followed by the letters a, b and g operate on a 2.4Ghz and those followed by n operate on a 5Ghz.

As a follow-up... It would be much worse to be the next-door-neighbor to a house with a WiFi antenna farm on its roof, compared to being the house right underneath it.

Quiz Quesion -- Why?

Cell phone / Wifi antenna farms should be on masts, located well above ground level. That helps to keep the ground-level RF exposure (to microwave oven frequencies) more safe:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cell_site

A clarification: WiFi is not 4G, but WiMax is and so is GSM/LTE. In India, 4G is being rolled out at 2300 MHz which is very close to the microwave oven band.

I have a terrible habit of not reading the OP, however I can safely say after using 4G via Sprint for over a year nothing detrimental happened.

Other than causing TV interference, I'm not convinced the higher frequency of 4G is of much concern with an antenna on top of the building. At least there just simply isn't enough research out there right now to convince me otherwise.

1. Is 4G internet tower radiation harmful for health?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that 4G internet tower radiation is harmful for health. The World Health Organization (WHO) has stated that the levels of radiation emitted from these towers are well below the recommended safety limits and do not pose a significant health risk.

2. Can living near a 4G internet tower cause cancer?

There is no scientific consensus that living near a 4G internet tower can cause cancer. Extensive research has been conducted on the effects of radiofrequency radiation (RF) on human health, and the results have not shown a clear link between RF exposure from 4G towers and cancer development.

3. Are there any health risks associated with long-term exposure to 4G tower radiation?

Studies have not found any significant health risks associated with long-term exposure to 4G tower radiation. The electromagnetic fields emitted by these towers are non-ionizing, meaning they do not have enough energy to damage DNA and cause mutations. However, some individuals may experience minor symptoms such as headaches or fatigue, but these can be attributed to other factors as well.

4. Can 4G internet towers affect the development of children?

There is no evidence to suggest that 4G internet towers can affect the development of children. The levels of radiation emitted from these towers are well below the recommended safety limits, and studies have not found any adverse effects on the development or behavior of children living near 4G towers.

5. Are there any precautions I can take to reduce my exposure to 4G tower radiation?

As a general precaution, you can maintain a safe distance from 4G towers and avoid spending prolonged periods of time close to them. However, it is important to note that the levels of radiation emitted from these towers are already well below the recommended safety limits, so there is no need to take extreme measures to reduce exposure.