Bosons are the glue that hold fermions together

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of photons in holding atoms and molecules together. It is explained that photons are the 'gauge boson' of electromagnetic interaction and mediate the attraction between electrons and protons in an atom. In the case of molecules, photons cause the electrons to be attracted to the nuclei, ultimately binding the molecule together. The exchange of photons also causes the nuclei and electrons to be repelled from each other, but this force is not strong enough to break the molecule apart.
g.lemaitre
If Wiki is right when it says bosons are the glue that hold fermions together then how does the photon hold atoms together?

Physics news on Phys.org
The photon is the 'gauge boson' of electromagnetic interaction, i.e. it mediates it: electromagnetic interaction is perfectly understood in a model where it corresponds to an exchange of photons.
In an atom electrons and protons interact via electromagnetic interaction, and thus via photon exchange.

Yes, but I thought two hydrogens are bound to one oxygen because they share electrons in a covalent bond. Are you saying that the electrons are sending photons back and forth to each other? Are the electrons absorbing and emitting electrons?

g.lemaitre said:
Yes, but I thought two hydrogens are bound to one oxygen because they share electrons in a covalent bond. Are you saying that the electrons are sending photons back and forth to each other? Are the electrons absorbing and emitting electrons?

First you were talking about atoms, now you are talking about molecules. They are different.

Still confused.

It would help if you pointed out exactly what you were reading and exactly what it said.

Like I said Wiki said "bosons are the glue that hold fermions together." Let's just try to understand that given the example of water. Hydrogen and Oxygen are held together in a covalent bond. What are the photons doing that bond? How are the photons holding that bond together. I'm guessing that the electrons are exchanging photons with each other, absorbing and emitting them from time to time but more details would help.

That's useless.

Please post exactly what you are reading and exactly what it said.

OK, so go to the Wiki article, and click on the little [3]. That takes you to the link where Wiki got that from, and has a page of explanatory text. Once you read that, please let us know specifically what is not clear.

I read the Carroll paper. What is still unclear is Hydrogen and Oxygen are held together in a covalent bond. What are the photons doing that bond? How are the photons holding that bond together. I'm guessing that the electrons are exchanging photons with each other, absorbing and emitting them from time to time but more details would help.

The exchange of photons causes the various electrons to be attracted to the various nuclei, which ultimately is what is binding the molecule together. (It also causes the nuclei to be repelled from each other, and the electrons to be repelled from each other, but these forces are not strong enough to break the molecule apart).

The general idea here is: suppose I have an electron in between two protons. The protons are each attracted to the electron (because of the electromagnetic interaction, mediated by photons). So the protons are both pulled inward. This gives us a simple molecule (H2+) where we might speak of the protons as being bound together by the sharing of an electron.

Thanks. That's what I needed to know.

1. What are bosons?

Bosons are a type of elementary particle that have integer spin, which means they have a whole number amount of angular momentum. They are one of the two main categories of particles in the Standard Model of particle physics, along with fermions.

2. How do bosons hold fermions together?

Bosons are responsible for mediating the fundamental forces of nature, such as the electromagnetic force and the strong and weak nuclear forces. These forces are what hold fermions (such as protons and neutrons) together in atoms and molecules. Without bosons, fermions would not be able to interact and form the complex structures that make up our world.

3. Why are bosons called the "glue" that holds fermions together?

This phrase is often used as a metaphor to describe the role of bosons in the universe. Just as glue holds physical objects together, bosons hold particles together through the fundamental forces they mediate. Without this "glue," the universe would not be able to exist in its current form.

4. Are all bosons responsible for holding fermions together?

No, not all bosons are responsible for holding fermions together. The Higgs boson, for example, is not directly involved in mediating any of the fundamental forces, but it is responsible for giving particles their mass, which in turn plays a crucial role in the formation of larger structures and the interactions between particles.

5. Can we observe the interaction between bosons and fermions?

Yes, we can observe the interaction between bosons and fermions through various experiments and observations in particle physics. The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN, for example, has provided evidence for the existence of the Higgs boson and other bosons, and has helped scientists better understand the fundamental forces and their interactions with fermions.