What Determines Planetary Speeds?

• Thread starter fouad89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Planetary
In summary, the speed of a planet is determined by its size and the amount of angular momentum it acquired during its formation. Earth spins at its current speed due to inertia from the cosmic dust that formed it, while Venus spins at a slower speed due to potentially different formation factors. Other factors such as the presence of a magnetic field, atmosphere, tectonic plates, and life also play a role in a planet's rotation. The histories of each planet are complicated and still being studied.
fouad89
Hi

I read up on astronomy for fun and I find the cosmos very fascinating

my question is what determines the speed of a planet? whys does Earth spin at its current speed where's Venus spins almost 224 Earth days.

I believe I read that the reason why the Earth spins in the first place is inertia; our planet was made up of cosmic dust spinning this way and once the Earth was formed it kept on spinning.

thank you

Astronomy news on Phys.org
fouad89 said:
I believe I read that the reason why the Earth spins in the first place is inertia; our planet was made up of cosmic dust spinning this way and once the Earth was formed it kept on spinning.

Yes, that's correct. Why would you think that Venus formed in some different way?

so what you are saying is that the cosmic dust was rotating at some speed as it was forming our planet, and the Earth kept that speed ( - a few m/s) and that's why planets rotate at there current speed today ?

fouad89 said:
so what you are saying is that the cosmic dust was rotating at some speed as it was forming our planet, and the Earth kept that speed ( - a few m/s) and that's why planets rotate at there current speed today ?

You asked why venus was different than earth. I was suggesting that you think about the possiblity that the rotating dust that formed Venus came together at a differnt rate.

There is another factor in Earth's rotation speed. What is a big differnce between the Earth and Venus?

I wasn't particularly asking about Venus, I was just curious of where the planets get there rotational current speeds from

what answer are you looking for between the Earth and Venus, there are significant differences between the two sister planets;

1) the existence of the Earth magnetic field

2) the CO2 atmosphere Venus has

3) the existence of active tectonic plates on the Earth

4) LIFE

the list goes on and on

fouad89 said:
I wasn't particularly asking about Venus, I was just curious of where the planets get there rotational current speeds from

what answer are you looking for between the Earth and Venus, there are significant differences between the two sister planets;

1) the existence of the Earth magnetic field

2) the CO2 atmosphere Venus has

3) the existence of active tectonic plates on the Earth

4) LIFE

the list goes on and on

Yes, but you left out the one that is important regarding the rotation of the Earth.

The histories of all the planets are complicated. For example, the moon is believed to have been the result of a collision between Earth and another body about the size of mars. Neptune is thought to have been knocked sideways by a similar collision. Generally speaking, the rotation period of planets in the solar system appears to be related to their size - big planets spin fast, little planets spin slower. Ostensibly this is because big planets accreted more material hence acquired more angular momentum during their formation. Without knowing all the historical details, understanding the current rotational speeds of the planets is very difficult.

1. What is the primary factor that determines a planet's speed?

The primary factor that determines a planet's speed is its distance from the sun. The farther a planet is from the sun, the slower its orbital speed will be, and vice versa.

2. How does a planet's mass affect its speed?

A planet's mass does not have a significant impact on its orbital speed. While more massive planets do exert a stronger gravitational force, this is counteracted by the increased distance from the sun.

3. Do all planets in our solar system have the same orbital speed?

No, each planet in our solar system has a unique orbital speed based on its distance from the sun. For example, Mercury, the closest planet to the sun, has an orbital speed of 47.87 km/s, while Neptune, the farthest planet, has an orbital speed of 5.43 km/s.

4. Are there any other factors that can influence a planet's speed?

Yes, factors such as gravitational pull from other celestial bodies, the shape of a planet's orbit, and the presence of a planet's moons can also affect its speed. These factors can cause slight variations in a planet's speed but are not the primary determinants.

5. How do scientists measure a planet's speed?

Scientists measure a planet's speed by calculating its orbital velocity, which is the distance traveled per unit time along its orbit. This can be determined through various methods, such as radar measurements or tracking the planet's position over time through telescopes.