Aluminum square tubing strength

In summary, the speaker is wondering if aluminum is a viable option for a project that involves building a "T" structure with specific size and weight requirements. They mention that pure aluminum is too soft and that certain alloys may be stronger but also more expensive. They also mention considering factors such as operating temperature and corrosion.
waynecarstairs
I am wondering if anyone would be so kind as to help me with a project. I am wondering what size aluminum square tubing it would take to build a "T" with the horizontal top being 4 feet in length and being able to hold 250 lbs. at each end and 1 ft. in from each end, totalling 1,000 lbs. I know what size tubing I need in steel but I would like to make the structure lighter and am not familiar with the strength of aluminum for such a cantilever. Just trying to see if aluminum is a viable option. Thanks, Bruce

Engineering news on Phys.org
Pure aluminium is too soft for construction purposes.
Many common alloys (ie silumin) has better strength/weight ratio, than ordinary steel.
But are more expensive.
Should also pay attention for the operating temperature and corrosion factors.

waynecarstairs said:
... Just trying to see if aluminum is a viable option. Thanks, Bruce

It might, but you've left out too much information.

What is aluminum square tubing?

Aluminum square tubing is a hollow, rectangular-shaped aluminum alloy tube that is commonly used in construction, aerospace, and manufacturing industries.

What is the strength of aluminum square tubing?

The strength of aluminum square tubing depends on several factors, including the grade of aluminum, the dimensions of the tubing, and any additional treatments or alloys used. Generally, aluminum square tubing has a high strength-to-weight ratio and can withstand a significant amount of force.

How is the strength of aluminum square tubing measured?

The strength of aluminum square tubing is typically measured in terms of its yield strength, ultimate tensile strength, and elongation at break. These values can be determined through various testing methods, such as tension and compression tests.

What are the advantages of using aluminum square tubing?

There are several advantages of using aluminum square tubing, including its lightweight nature, corrosion resistance, and high strength-to-weight ratio. It is also easy to fabricate, making it a popular choice for a variety of applications.

What are the limitations of using aluminum square tubing?

Although aluminum square tubing has many benefits, it also has some limitations. It is not as strong as steel and may not be suitable for heavy-duty applications. It also has a lower melting point than steel, making it less suitable for high-temperature environments.