Remembering the Christchurch Quakes: Can You Still Recognize Your Old Haunts?

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about a humorous sign posted by a city council in Christchurch, New Zealand in response to the earthquakes that occurred in 2010 and 2011. The sign was located near the Port Hills and Canterbury Agricultural Park. The individual who shared the sign will be visiting Christchurch in July and hopes to find the sign and see if it is still there. They also mentioned their personal connection to the city and how it has changed since the earthquakes.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
hi Guys and Gals

just a little earthquake humour from my home country...

As many of you may know, Christchurch City in New Zealand suffered badly in the series of large quakes throughout 2010 and 2011. Here's a little humour and stress relief from one of the city councils...

attachment.php?attachmentid=58326&stc=1&d=1367224334.jpg

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• CHCH Rd Sign.jpg
    CHCH Rd Sign.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 739
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
That's funny, thanks for sharing!

That seems to be Christchurch Southern Motorway, near Canterbury Agricultural Park, with Cashmere Hills in the distance.

Astronuc said:
That seems to be Christchurch Southern Motorway, near Canterbury Agricultural Park, with Cashmere Hills in the distance.

Yes, quite possibly, definitely the Port Hills in the background
Im heading over there in July to catch up with my kids and my ma and pa and co.
Will have to see if this sign is still there and if I can find it.

I stole the pic from my daughter's facebook page ;)

Dave

davenn said:
Yes, quite possibly, definitely the Port Hills in the background
Im heading over there in July to catch up with my kids and my ma and pa and co.
Will have to see if this sign is still there and if I can find it.

I stole the pic from my daughter's facebook page ;)

Dave
Port Hills is the proper name. Lyttelton would be on the other side. I have a 3rd cousin who lives in Cashmere Hills which is up in the hills below the crest. Their house was damaged, but they have a place up north on the SI.

Can't believe it has been more than 2 years. I lived the Christchurch in Fendalton till around 1995, my parents regularly take a walk in Mona Vale and see the ducks in Avon River. With the quakes and what not I'm pretty sure I won't be able to recognise anything if I ever go to these places again.

1. What is "Christchurch Quake Humour"?

"Christchurch Quake Humour" refers to the use of humor and satire to cope with the earthquakes that have affected the city of Christchurch, New Zealand since 2010. This type of humor often uses irony and absurdity to make light of a difficult situation.

2. Is "Christchurch Quake Humour" considered offensive?

It depends on the context and the individual's personal beliefs. Some may find it cathartic and a way to cope with the tragedy, while others may find it insensitive. It is important to be respectful and considerate when using this type of humor.

3. How has "Christchurch Quake Humour" been received by the public?

Opinions are divided. Some people find it a helpful coping mechanism, while others believe it trivializes the seriousness of the earthquakes. It is important to be aware of the audience and their reactions when using this type of humor.

4. Is "Christchurch Quake Humour" a new phenomenon?

No, the use of humor to cope with tragedy is not a new concept. However, the widespread use of social media has made it more visible and accessible to a larger audience.

5. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding "Christchurch Quake Humour"?

There are potential concerns around the use of humor in the face of tragedy, as it may be seen as disrespectful or minimizing the severity of the situation. It is important to consider the feelings and perspectives of those who have been directly affected by the earthquakes.