How could one theoretically predict a material's permittivity?

• Thread starter VortexLattice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Permittivity
In summary: You can then use this information to calculate the permittivity of the material.In summary, the permittivity of a material can be experimentally determined by relating the Polarization to the applied electric field. However, theoretically it can be calculated using a program to calculate the band structure of the material and using linear response to determine the change in charge density. This method requires knowledge of the band structure and Bloch states of the material.
VortexLattice
I know experimentally, the permittivity of a material is ##\vec D = \epsilon \vec E##, and you can also relate the Polarization to it. So it's basically a response of the material to an applied E field.

But that seems like it would be a fairly complex thing to figure out theoretically. I guess one way would be to, for a given E field applied to a unit cell of the material, see how each atom gets polarized. But that seems like it would be incredibly complicated for unit cells with several atoms and a basis, and each atom having multiple electrons.

So I'm wondering how you could figure out the permittivity of a general crystal, like if you were told its interatomic distances, lattice constants, band structure, etc. Is there a better way than what I described above?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Permittivity can be calculated routinely with programs to calculate band structure. The basic approach is described in the article by Adler:

http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v126/i2/p413_1

DrDu said:
Permittivity can be calculated routinely with programs to calculate band structure. The basic approach is described in the article by Adler:

http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v126/i2/p413_1

Hi, thank you very much for the reply! However, after a quick glance at this I don't see how to get the permittivity assuming you already know the band structure... I'm sorry if I'm misunderstanding this, but is this what you meant?

Basically you use linear response (i.e. perturbation theory) to calculate the change in charge density due to an applied field. This requires you to know the band structure and Bloch states of the material being studied.

1. How is a material's permittivity defined?

Permittivity is a measure of a material's ability to store an electric charge in an electric field. It is defined as the ratio of the electric flux density to the electric field strength.

2. What factors affect a material's permittivity?

The permittivity of a material is affected by its composition, temperature, and frequency of the electric field. Different materials have different atomic structures and arrangements, which can impact their permittivity values.

3. How can one theoretically predict a material's permittivity?

Theoretical prediction of a material's permittivity involves using mathematical equations and models to analyze the material's composition, structure, and properties. This can be done through theoretical calculations, simulations, and experiments.

4. Are there any limitations to predicting a material's permittivity?

Yes, there are limitations to predicting a material's permittivity. These include the accuracy of the theoretical models and equations used, as well as the complexity of the material's structure and properties. External factors such as impurities and defects can also affect the accuracy of predictions.

5. Why is it important to be able to predict a material's permittivity?

Predicting a material's permittivity is important because it allows scientists and engineers to understand and manipulate the electrical properties of materials. This knowledge is crucial in the development of new technologies and applications, such as electronic devices, energy storage systems, and communication systems.