Photons and the Doppler effect

In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of the Doppler effect and how it applies to light waves. The speaker is currently analyzing spectra and their analysis software accounts for Doppler shifts caused by relative radial motion and Earth's rotation. They also mentioned having a "blind spot" when it comes to understanding the effect on light waves. The conversation then delved into different scenarios where the observer and source are in motion and how it affects the observed wavelength of a photon. The conversation also touched on the properties of the star and how they do not directly affect the emitted photon, but rather it is the relative motion between the star and observer that causes the observed change in wavelength. In conclusion, the group discussed the three factors that can affect the observed frequency
Patrick Watson
I am currently capturing and analyzing spectra. My analysis software includes allowances for Doppler shifts resulting from relative radial motion between source and observer, and also Earth’s rotation. Results are accurate .

The basic introduction to the Doppler effect generally starts with waves in water with a static and then a moving wave generator which very clearly shows wave length changes.
Sound waves – similar demonstrations with sirens etc,. – also very clear effect.

When it comes to light I have a ‘blind spot’.
Using the example of an Hα photon (say 6563 Å) emitted from a hydrogen atom (keep it simple - nearby star, ignoring Earth’s rotation).
Situation 1:
No relative radial motion. Photon measured by observer at 6563 Å.

Situation 2:
Source ‘static’, observer moves towards or away from approaching photon. Observer measures blue or red shift.

Situation 3:
Source moves towards ‘static’ observer. Here I need HELP. This photon, once emitted, is traveling at the speed of light – this being independent of the motion of the source. I am currently unable to see how the beginning wavelength would be measured differently by the observer.

Regards,

Patrick.

Physics news on Phys.org
Patrick Watson said:
Situation 3:
Source moves towards ‘static’ observer. Here I need HELP. This photon, once emitted, is traveling at the speed of light – this being independent of the motion of the source. I am currently unable to see how the beginning wavelength would be measured differently by the observer.

Regards,

Patrick.

What exactly do you need help with? A moving source is identical to a moving observer. From the observers point of view, they cannot tell whether they are moving towards the source, or whether the source is moving towards them. (And in reality either view is correct)

Situation 3:
This is easier to understand if you let the star emit 1 pulse of light per second. Within that second, the star moves a bit towards you (or away from you), so the next pulse will star closer to you (further away from you), and you get the pulses with a higher (lower) frequency.
The same stays true if you look at oscillations of electromagnetic waves instead of discrete light pulses.

Thanks for your responses. I do not deny current wisdom.The point I have tried to make is, in the specific situation noted, I will measure the wavelength of a single photon. How could this photon, having departed the star, and moving at light speed, be affected by any motion of that star?

It comes from that star. How could it not be affected by properties of the star?

Thanks. I would be very happy to understand what properties of the star effect the departed photon such that there is a change in the beginning wavelength.

Patrick Watson said:
Thanks. I would be very happy to understand what properties of the star effect the departed photon such that there is a change in the beginning wavelength.

It's not a matter of the star's properties affecting the photon. From the star's point of view the photon is the same wavelength. It is only because of the relative motion between the star and the observer that the photon is blue/redshifted.

Patrick Watson said:
That's not the right time-order. In our frame of reference, the photon is always blueshifted. It is not a process that happens magically after the photon was emitted.

See my light pulse analogy, I think that is easier to understand.

Go back to the siren example. The speed of sound in air is the same. Why does the tone change as the ambulance is moving towards or away from you?

Same theory as Doppler radar police use to determine automobile speeds.

Three things affect the observed frequency of a photon:

Change in gravitational potential between emitter and receiver,

Relative motion between emitter and receiver [your specifically stated issue]

Expansion or contraction of space between emitter and receiver [as over cosmological distances]

I sincerely thank all my new found colleagues for their replies.

Regards,

Patrick.

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that carries energy and has zero mass. It behaves both as a wave and a particle, and is the basic unit of electromagnetic radiation.

2. How does the Doppler effect affect photons?

The Doppler effect is the change in frequency or wavelength of a wave as observed by an observer moving relative to the source of the wave. This effect can also be observed in photons, causing a shift in their frequency and energy depending on the relative motion between the source and observer.

3. Can the Doppler effect be observed in all types of light?

The Doppler effect can be observed in all types of light, including visible light, infrared, ultraviolet, and even radio waves. Since all of these types of light are forms of electromagnetic radiation, they are all subject to the Doppler effect.

4. How is the Doppler effect used in astronomy?

The Doppler effect is used in astronomy to study the motion of celestial objects. By observing the shift in frequency of light emitted by distant objects, scientists can determine the speed and direction of their motion. This helps in understanding the structure and movements of galaxies and other celestial bodies.

5. Can the Doppler effect be used to measure the distance of objects in space?

Yes, the Doppler effect can be used to measure the distance of objects in space. By observing the change in frequency of light emitted by a distant object, scientists can calculate its velocity and distance from the observer. This is known as the redshift and is used to measure the expansion of the universe and the distance of galaxies.