Can I get into computational neuroscience from EE?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of transitioning from electrical engineering with a focus in signal processing to a career in computational neuroscience. It is confirmed that this transition is viable and that a master's in computational neuroscience may be more beneficial than a master's in neuroscience. Signal processing is used in computational neuroscience to model the brain's processing of signals from the environment and to analyze data from the nervous system. Some programs and research groups may be found within electrical engineering departments, and terms such as theoretical neuroscience and mathematical neuroscience can aid in the search for relevant schools and programs.
PNGeng
I am finishing my BS this semester in electrical engineering with an emphasis in signal processing and I want to eventually become a researcher in computational neuroscience. Is this transition viable?

Since I ultimately want a Ph.D in neuroscience should I get my masters in neuroscience or can I get a masters in EE and switch afterwards?

Is signal processing used in computational neuroscience? If so, what is it used for? I suppose it is because I've seen several books on signal processing for neuroscientists but I'm not exactly sure how they use it.

Also, I am only interested in the science of brains, not engineering technology to interface with the brain.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The short answers are:

1. Yes, you can go into computational neuroscience from EE, and many people do.

2. You could potentially go either route, but I would probably recommend a master's in comp. neuro. rather than straight neuroscience.

3. You can think of the brain as a system that takes signals from the environment and processes them to generate perceptions and actions. You can use signal processing to model this process. Neuroscients also need signal processing to analyse noisy data from the nervous system.

Yes, many neural models can be conceived as an electrical circuit model with nonlinear elements and I come across papers here and there by EE departments when I do background literature.

I've seen circuit construction too, where they constructed a circuit that reproduces the behavior of a Morris Lecar neuron.

I am having a tough time finding comp-neuro graduate programs that do not require a lot of biology/chemistry.

Can anyone recommend colleges for comp-neuro? Not JHU/Berkeley/Columbia type schools either, I'm looking for middle tier schools.

I keep hearing the transition is possible and is done frequently but I can't find any programs. What gives?

Mostly only top tier schools can afford to invest in something like comp neuro. For middle tier, You may have to find the appropriate advisor or research group doing the research you want. It could end up being in an EE department with a focus in neuro. Theoretical neuroscience and mathematical neuroscience are other names for the field that may help you search. Look for papers published out of EE departments and consider those departments.

1. Can I pursue a career in computational neuroscience with a background in electrical engineering?

Yes, a background in electrical engineering can be a great foundation for a career in computational neuroscience. Many concepts and techniques used in electrical engineering, such as signal processing and circuit design, are also relevant in computational neuroscience. Additionally, skills in programming and data analysis acquired through an electrical engineering degree can be transferable to the field of computational neuroscience.

2. What additional education or training is needed to transition from electrical engineering to computational neuroscience?

While a background in electrical engineering can provide a strong foundation, additional education or training may be needed to fully transition into computational neuroscience. This may include taking courses in neuroscience, computer science, or statistics, as well as gaining hands-on experience through internships or research projects in the field.

3. What are some specific job opportunities in computational neuroscience for individuals with an electrical engineering background?

Individuals with a background in electrical engineering can pursue various job opportunities in computational neuroscience, such as data analyst, research scientist, or computational neuroengineer. These roles may involve developing and implementing computational models for understanding brain function or analyzing large datasets to gain insights into neurological disorders.

4. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are beneficial for someone with an electrical engineering background to have in computational neuroscience?

Some skills and qualities that can be beneficial for individuals with an electrical engineering background in computational neuroscience include a strong foundation in mathematics and programming, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving abilities. Additionally, having a genuine interest in neuroscience and a curiosity to learn more about the brain can also be advantageous.

5. What are some potential challenges that an electrical engineering background may face when transitioning into computational neuroscience?

One potential challenge that individuals with an electrical engineering background may face when transitioning into computational neuroscience is becoming familiar with the specific terminology and concepts used in neuroscience. Additionally, they may need to gain a deeper understanding of the biological principles and processes underlying brain function. To overcome these challenges, additional education and training may be necessary, as well as seeking guidance and mentorship from experts in the field.