Colour planes still existing after filtering

by vipis
Tags: colour, existing, filtering, planes
vipis
Jan22-14, 11:01 AM
P: 1
Hey. Im wondering how can blue and green colour planes exist in a photo, when im using red bandpass filter while taking photos? Red bandpass filter lets only red light through. But when i analyze the photo, green and blue planes are still there. How can it be?

Thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Mapping the road to quantum gravity
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
mfb
Jan22-14, 03:10 PM
Mentor
P: 10,861
What do you mean with "still there"?
Filters and color-sensitive detectors are not perfect (and they would not work as intended if they would be perfect) - even with a filter, you'll get non-zero green and blue values in a digital image.
Andy Resnick
Jan22-14, 08:11 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,468
Quote Quote by vipis View Post
Hey. Im wondering how can blue and green colour planes exist in a photo, when im using red bandpass filter while taking photos? Red bandpass filter lets only red light through. But when i analyze the photo, green and blue planes are still there. How can it be?

Thanks in advance
If I understand your question, its because the light passing through the filter can still be (barely) detected by the green and blue sensor pixels- the Beyer filters are fairly broad, do you have any specs on your red filter?

Claude Bile
Jan24-14, 06:31 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,465

Colour planes still existing after filtering

I agree with Andy - the blue and green sensors will still register a response when exposed to red light because the spectral response curve partially overlaps the red part of the visible spectrum.

Claude.

Register to reply