Different materials - Elastic modulus

In summary, the length of a rod is changed by pulling on one end to increase the length by 1.20 mm. The two materials have different elastic modulus, so the strain on the rod will be different.
flower76
Hi

This looks like an easy question but I'm stumped and would appreciate some help.

A rod is made of two sections joined end to end. The sections are identical, except that one is steel and the other is brass. While one end is held fixed, the other is pulled to result in a change in length of 1.20 mm. By how much does the length of each section increase?

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation of young's modulus?

~H

I believe it to be:

change in L = (1/E)(F/A)(Lo)

I'm not sure what to do with the fact that you have two E values, add them together? Then do you ignore F and A, and is Lo actually 2Lo in this case?

Thanks

There would be a total length L, and one material has length x and the other one has length L-x.

Think of Hooke's Law, and the relationship between stress and strain.
See - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke's_law

Stress is load (force)/area.

I'm sorry now I think I'm even more confused, there are no values for force or area and I can't see how you would get them. Am I overlooking something?

Do the two parts separately. How much does each increase separately?

The question is to figure them out separately and I don't know how to do it. I keep going around in circles and getting answers that don't make sense.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Ok I'm still trying to figure out this question and getting nowhere, does anyone have any other suggestions. It would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Please post some of your work.

Ok this is what i have so far:

change in L = 1/E x L

so 0.0012 = 1/100x10^9 x X
X= 1.2 x 10^9

and the other is 0.0012 = 1/200x10^9 x L-x
L-x= 2.4x10^8
therefore L = 1.44x10^9

This doesn't look right to me but I don't know what I'm missing.

First, you should probably assume that each section is the same length. That said, if the modulus of Elasticity of one material is twice the other, that means that it will stretch half as much. Thus one section stretches 0.0008 m and the other 0.0004 m.

flower76 - Sorry for the confusion, I seem to have made it more complicated than necessary.

In series, i.e. with the two sections (rods/bars) end-to-end, they are subject to the 'same' force, and assuming they have the same cross-sectional area, each develops the same stress.

However, the elastic (Young's) modulus of each is different, so the strain of each will be different.

The strain is simply [itex]\epsilon[/itex] = [itex]\sigma[/itex]/E, where [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is the strain, [itex]\sigma[/itex] is the axial stress, and E is the elastic modulus.

If one section is length L1 and the other L2, then the initial length is simply L = L1 + L2. Now when the sections strain, one obtains a combined length given by (1+[itex]\epsilon[/itex]1) L1 + (1+[itex]\epsilon[/itex]2) L2.

Thanks for the help I finally get it, and of course its much simpler then it originally looked.

Astronuc said:
flower76 - Sorry for the confusion, I seem to have made it more complicated than necessary.

In series, i.e. with the two sections (rods/bars) end-to-end, they are subject to the 'same' force, and assuming they have the same cross-sectional area, each develops the same stress.

However, the elastic (Young's) modulus of each is different, so the strain of each will be different.

The strain is simply [itex]\epsilon[/itex] = [itex]\sigma[/itex]/E, where [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is the strain, [itex]\sigma[/itex] is the axial stress, and E is the elastic modulus.

If one section is length L1 and the other L2, then the initial length is simply L = L1 + L2. Now when the sections strain, one obtains a combined length given by (1+[itex]\epsilon[/itex]1) L1 + (1+[itex]\epsilon[/itex]2) L2.

Can you try to explain this again to me? I am really confused!

1. What is elastic modulus?

Elastic modulus, also known as Young's modulus, is a material property that describes its stiffness or ability to resist deformation when a force is applied to it. It is measured in units of pressure, such as megapascals (MPa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

2. How is elastic modulus determined?

Elastic modulus is typically determined through tensile testing, where a material is subjected to a pulling force until it reaches its breaking point. The resulting stress and strain data is used to calculate the material's elastic modulus.

3. What factors affect the elastic modulus of a material?

The elastic modulus of a material can be affected by factors such as its chemical composition, crystal structure, and temperature. Generally, materials with stronger chemical bonds and a more organized crystal structure have a higher elastic modulus.

4. Why is elastic modulus important in material selection?

Elastic modulus is an important consideration in material selection because it determines how much a material will deform under stress. Materials with a high elastic modulus are less likely to deform, making them suitable for applications where stiffness and strength are crucial.

5. Can elastic modulus change over time?

Yes, elastic modulus can change over time due to factors such as temperature, humidity, and exposure to chemicals or radiation. Aging or degradation of a material can also result in changes to its elastic modulus.