Double integral - change of variables

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of a difficult integral involving a trapezoidal region and the use of substitution to simplify the integrand. The participants also discuss the importance of both the region and integrand in determining the best approach for solving such problems. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to let the integrand guide the choice of substitutions.
Benny
Hi, I'm having trouble evaluating the following integral.

[tex]
\int\limits_{}^{} {\int\limits_R^{} {\cos \left( {\frac{{y - x}}{{y + x}}} \right)} } dA
[/tex]

Where R is the trapezoidal region with vertices (1,0), (2,0), (0,2) and (0,1).

I a drew a diagram and found that R is the region bounded by the lines y = - x + 2, y = -x + 1, x = 0 and y = 0.

Firstly, I would like to ask when attempting questions requiring a change of variables, is the priority to make the region of integration simpler or the integrand simpler? I ask this because I am often not sure how to approach these sorts of questions so if I have the correct starting point it should make things easier.

Anyway I think an obvious substitution u = x + y which converts to the lines u = 1 and u = 2. But how about the 'v' substitution? I have accounted for the lines y = -x + 1 and y = -x + 2 with the u substitution but there are also the sides of R given by the equations y = 0 and x = 0. I cannot figure out a suitable substitution. Can someone please help me with that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Benny said:
Firstly, I would like to ask when attempting questions requiring a change of variables, is the priority to make the region of integration simpler or the integrand simpler? I ask this because I am often not sure how to approach these sorts of questions so if I have the correct starting point it should make things easier.

The two questions are intertwined. You of course want the integrand to be easy to integrate, but once you perform that first integration your choice of region influences your integrand. I don't know of any general procedure for determining the region that will best facilitate integration. Experience seems to be the best guide. Mind you, I am trained not as a mathematician, but as a physicist. But as my old calculus teacher always said, "Differentiation is mechanics, integration is art."

Anyway I think an obvious substitution u = x + y which converts to the lines u = 1 and u = 2.

Good start!

But how about the 'v' substitution? I have accounted for the lines y = -x + 1 and y = -x + 2 with the u substitution but there are also the sides of R given by the equations y = 0 and x = 0. I cannot figure out a suitable substitution. Can someone please help me with that?

In this case: Let the integrand be your guide. Inside that cosine function you've got a rational function. You already used the denominator as one substitution. Why not let the numerator give you the other one?

Let v=y-x. It should come out pretty easy that way.

Let us know if you get stuck again.

Thanks for your explanations Tom. It's been a few days since I posted this question and during that time I've had a look at some other questions from the same section of the book. I've noticed that the integrands and the regions are set up so that the form of the integrand pretty much gives away the required substitutions. I asked about a procedure to do these sorts of problems because I think that in many cases it doesn't always turn out so well. Anyway thanks again for your help.

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation that involves integrating a function of two variables over a region in two-dimensional space. It is represented by the symbol ∫∫ (integrate twice) and is used to calculate the volume under a surface in three-dimensional space.

What is the change of variables method for double integrals?

The change of variables method is a technique used to simplify the process of evaluating double integrals. It involves substituting a new set of variables in place of the original variables, which allows for the use of simpler integrals and makes the overall calculation easier.

Why is the change of variables method useful?

The change of variables method is useful because it allows for the evaluation of more complex integrals by simplifying them into simpler integrals. It also allows for more flexibility in the choice of variables, which can make the calculation more efficient and accurate.

What are the steps for using the change of variables method in double integrals?

The steps for using the change of variables method in double integrals are as follows:

1. Identify the original variables and the desired new variables.
  2. Write the new variables in terms of the original variables.
  3. Calculate the Jacobian determinant, which is a matrix of partial derivatives of the new variables with respect to the original variables.
  4. Substitute the new variables and the Jacobian determinant into the original integrand.
  5. Evaluate the new integral using the new variables.

What are some common applications of double integrals and the change of variables method?

Double integrals and the change of variables method have many applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. Some common applications include calculating the volume of a three-dimensional object, finding the center of mass of an object, determining the probability of an event in statistics, and solving differential equations in physics and engineering problems.