Confused on how to find current also why is this resistor labled +/- not -/+

In summary, the current flowing into the resistor with 2 ohms is 3A. The voltage across the resistor is 6v and the resistance is 1.5 ohm.
mr_coffee
Here is the diagram and work the answer booklet says:
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/2593/untitled1copy7wg.jpg

Okay first question, If you loook on the image and look at the Current Source Is, the arrow shows its going up and to the left, so that means its going to go through the 2.5 OHM resistor, but you can see the picture its labeled +^v^v - so that means its going to not have a voltage drop but an increase and isn't the rule it should always decrease with the flow of current? all the other resistors follow this rule in the diagram.

Okay now to the real problem:
I'm confused on how they found i2, which I'm assuming is the current flowing into Resistor with 2 OHMS, with voltage of v2.
They say:
v2 = v1.5/1.5 OHM - v14/15OHM = 6v/1.5 ohm - 14v/14 ohm = 3A

Why are they only using v1.5 and v14 to find this? if u used KVL, wouldn't u sum up the middle loop and get:
start at V2 going clock wise, -V2 - V4 + V14 = 0;
so V2 = -V4 + V14
but they arn't even using V4 instead they are using V1.5, but why? Thanks
!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. The power supply (current source) is the symbol on the left + 20V - indicating that the current flows from the bottom to the top part of that circuit.

2. The 4A that flows in that branch at the left of the circuit split ups at the branch point between the 1.5 ohm and 2 ohm resistor. The amount of current carrying on in the 2 ohm resistor is therefore 4A minus the current that branched off through the 14 ohm resistor.

3. The diagram are using non standard symbols, so I'm not shure what the Is symbol represents, maybe an ammeter?

The sign for the voltages is arbitrary. If the +/- is shown one way, you will get a positive voltage for an answer, and if the +/- is flipped, you will get a negative voltage for the answer. The +/- just shows the way that the V(x) voltage was solved for.

What is current and how do I find it?

Current refers to the flow of electric charge in a circuit. It is measured in amperes (A) and is typically represented by the symbol "I". To find the current in a circuit, you can use Ohm's law, which states that current is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R). So, to find the current, you would divide the voltage by the resistance: I = V/R.

Why is this resistor labeled with a plus and minus sign instead of a minus and plus sign?

Resistors are labeled with plus and minus signs to indicate their polarity. The plus sign represents the positive end of the resistor, while the minus sign represents the negative end. This is important because the direction of current flow through a resistor is determined by its polarity.

How do I determine the value of a resistor?

The value of a resistor is determined by its color bands. Each color represents a specific number, and by reading the color bands from left to right, you can determine the value of the resistor. There are many online tools and charts available to help with this process.

What is the purpose of a resistor in a circuit?

Resistors are used in circuits to control the flow of current and to limit the amount of voltage that reaches a certain component. They can also be used to divide or combine voltages in a circuit.

How do I calculate the resistance of a resistor?

To calculate the resistance of a resistor, you can use Ohm's law, which states that resistance is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I). So, to find the resistance, you would divide the voltage by the current: R = V/I. You can also use the color bands on the resistor or an ohmmeter to determine the resistance.