What Is the Central Potential V(r) for a Particle's Sinusoidal Trajectory?

• Thread starter stunner5000pt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Potential
In summary, the potential V(r) for a particle moving in a central potential is found by computing the force and then integrating it with respect to r. To simplify the expression further, common factors can be combined and substitution can be used. It may also be helpful to double check the derivative calculations. When a = b, the potential Veff(r) will be a sum of a cosine function and a constant.
stunner5000pt
the trajectory of a particle moving in a cnetral potential V(r) is given by [itex] r = a + b \sin(\eta \phi) [/itex] where a b and eta are constants

Compute the potential V(r) in which the particel moves (for arbitrary a, b, and eta) and sketch [itex] V_{eff} (r) = V(r) + \frac{L^2}{2mr^2} [/itex] for cases a =b

sketching is not hte problem here.. i just need to find out V(r)
well i know that i need to compute the force f first and then integrate f w.r.t. r to get V(r)
find find [tex] u = \frac{1}{r} = \frac{1}{a + b \sin(\eta \phi)} [/tex]
then using [tex] f = -\frac{L^2 u^2}{m} (u'' + u) [/tex]
and [tex] u '' = \frac{2b^2 \eta^2 \cos^2 (\eta \phi)}{r^3} + \frac{b \eta^2 \sin(\eta \phi)}{r^2} [/tex] (phew!)

once i sub expressions for u'' and u i get
[tex] f(r) = - \frac{L^2}{mr^2} \left( \frac{2b^2 \eta^2 \cos^2 (\eta \phi)}{r^3} + \frac{b \eta^2 \sin(\eta \phi)}{r^2} \right)+ \frac{1}{r} [/tex]
is that fine? Can i simplify that any more in terms of r?

are the steps correct? Any problems with the derivative? Just need to know if i can simplify any further.
Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
for your question. Your steps for finding the potential V(r) look correct. To simplify the expression further, you could combine the terms with a common factor of r and then integrate to get V(r). This would give you a simpler expression for V(r). Also, you could try substituting r = a + b sin(ηφ) into the expression for V(r) and see if you can simplify it that way.

As for any problems with the derivative, it looks like you have correctly taken the second derivative of u and substituted it into the expression for f(r). However, it might be helpful to double check your calculations just to make sure there are no errors.

In terms of sketching Veff(r), remember that it is a sum of two terms: V(r) and L^2/2mr^2. So when a = b, the first term will be a cosine function and the second term will be a constant. This should help you visualize the shape of Veff(r) and how it changes with different values of a, b, and η.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations and sketching!

What is potential?

Potential is a measure of the stored energy in a system. It represents the ability of an object or system to do work.

What is the unit of potential?

The unit of potential is joules (J), which is the same unit as energy.

How do you calculate potential?

Potential can be calculated by multiplying the force acting on an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula is Potential = Force x Distance.

What is the difference between potential and potential energy?

Potential and potential energy are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference. Potential is a measure of the stored energy in a system, while potential energy is the actual energy that is stored in the system.

What is the relationship between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential and kinetic energy are two forms of energy that are related to each other. Potential energy can be converted to kinetic energy when an object moves, and kinetic energy can be converted to potential energy when an object comes to a stop. Together, they make up the total energy of a system.