Solving Static Structure: Find Forces in B & C

In summary, the forces in members B and C can be determined by using the method of joints or the method of sections, which involve drawing a free body diagram and applying equilibrium equations. The method of joints involves analyzing the forces at each joint, while the method of sections involves cutting the truss into smaller sections. The choice between the two methods depends on the complexity of the truss and the desired level of accuracy. The method of joints can be used for any truss in static equilibrium, but the method of sections may be more efficient for complex trusses. To solve for the forces in members B and C, you will need the geometry of the truss and the external forces acting on it. There is no specific order in which to
TSN79
The attachment shows a structure. I'm supposed to calculate the forces in the members B and C. I try the following:

[tex]
\sum M _A = BL + 2CL - F \cdot {3 \over 2}L = 0
[/tex]

[tex]
\sum {F_Y = B + C - F = 0}
[/tex]

Solving for B and C from this doesn't yield the correct answer, which is B=3F/10 and C=6F/10.

Can someone explain?

Attachments

• beam.jpg
    beam.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post homework problems in the homework help section.

As for your problem, it looks as if point C is free floating. So there is no force developed at C. Hope that solves your worries.

It appears that you have correctly set up the equations for solving the forces in members B and C. However, there may be an error in your calculations or assumptions that is leading to the incorrect answer. It's important to double check your work and make sure all of your equations are accurately representing the forces in the structure. It's also possible that there are other external forces or constraints that are affecting the solution. I recommend reviewing your approach and seeking assistance from a colleague or instructor if necessary. It's important to carefully analyze and verify your results in order to ensure accuracy in scientific calculations.

1. How do I determine the forces in members B and C?

The forces in members B and C can be determined by using the method of joints or the method of sections. Both methods involve drawing a free body diagram and applying equilibrium equations to solve for the unknown forces.

2. What is the difference between the method of joints and the method of sections?

The method of joints involves analyzing the forces at each joint in a truss, while the method of sections involves cutting the truss into smaller sections and analyzing the forces in those sections. The choice between the two methods depends on the complexity of the truss and the desired level of accuracy.

3. Can I use the method of joints for any truss?

The method of joints can be used for any truss, as long as it is in static equilibrium. However, for more complex trusses, the method of sections may be a more efficient approach.

4. What information do I need to solve for the forces in members B and C?

To solve for the forces in members B and C, you will need the geometry of the truss (lengths and angles of the members) and the external forces acting on the truss (such as applied loads or reactions).

5. Is there a specific order in which I should solve for the forces in a truss?

There is no specific order in which you should solve for the forces in a truss. However, it is recommended to start at a joint with the most unknown forces and work your way towards joints with fewer unknown forces. This will help in simplifying the analysis and reducing errors.