Entrance loss from open channel to pipe

In summary, entrance loss from open channel to pipe is the energy loss that occurs when water flows from an open channel into a pipe. This loss is important to consider when designing and analyzing piping systems, as it can impact efficiency and energy usage. Entrance loss can be calculated using various equations and is affected by factors such as flow rate, pipe diameter, and channel geometry. To minimize entrance loss, it is important to design smooth transitions and maintain a consistent flow rate.
miriza
Hi!

I have the following equation for the entrance loss from an open channel to a pipe, but I'm not sure how it was derived:

hloss = K*(V2^2 - V1^2)/2g

I have always seen entrance losses as: K*(V^2)/2g, but why is the channel flow velocity considered in the equation above.

Thanks, Michelle

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think it is because the velocity in the open channel (V1) is assumed to be zero, but I am not 100% sure.

1. What is entrance loss from open channel to pipe?

Entrance loss from open channel to pipe refers to the energy loss that occurs when water flows from an open channel into a pipe. This loss is caused by the change in flow direction and the friction between the water and the pipe walls.

2. Why is entrance loss from open channel to pipe important?

Understanding entrance loss is important for designing and analyzing piping systems. This loss affects the efficiency and performance of the system and can impact the amount of energy needed to transport water.

3. How is entrance loss from open channel to pipe calculated?

Entrance loss can be calculated using various equations, such as the Kirschmer formula or the Swamee-Jain formula, which take into account factors such as the flow rate, pipe diameter, and channel geometry. These equations are based on experimental data and can provide an estimation of the entrance loss.

4. What factors affect entrance loss from open channel to pipe?

The amount of entrance loss can be influenced by factors such as the velocity of the water, the angle at which the water enters the pipe, the roughness of the pipe walls, and the shape and size of the channel. Other factors, such as the presence of debris or changes in the flow rate, can also impact the entrance loss.

5. How can entrance loss from open channel to pipe be minimized?

Entrance loss can be reduced by designing the channel and pipe system with smooth transitions and minimizing the angle at which the water enters the pipe. Additionally, using smoother pipe materials and maintaining a consistent flow rate can help to minimize entrance loss.