Infinity in Finite Proper Time

In summary: Your Name]In summary, George has made an interesting discovery while working on pervect's "messy unsolved" problem. He has found a worldline with an unbounded 4-acceleration in Minkowski spacetime, but notes that this does not necessarily mean it is unphysical. He also mentions the importance of checking if the solution satisfies all necessary criteria.
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Working on pervect's "messy unsolved" problem has led me to an interesting result. Let [itex]\left( x , t \right)[/itex] be a global inertial coordinate system for Minkowski spacetime.

Consider the worldline given by

[tex]t \left( \tau \right) = \frac{\tau^3}{3} - \frac{1}{4 \tau}[/tex]

[tex]x \left( \tau \right) = -\frac{\tau^3}{3} - \frac{1}{4 \tau}.[/tex]

Then

[tex]\frac{dt}{d \tau} = \tau^{2} + \frac{1}{4 \tau^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{d \tau} =- \tau^{2} + \frac{1}{4 \tau^2}.[/tex]

Note that [itex]dt/d\tau > 0[/itex], and that

[tex]
\begin{align}
\left( \frac{dt}{d \tau} \right)^2 - \left( \frac{dx}{d \tau} \right)^2 &= \left( \tau^{2} + \frac{1}{4 \tau^2} \right)^2 - \left( - \tau^{2} + \frac{1}{4 \tau^2} \right)^2\\
& = 1.
\end{align}
[/tex]

Therefore, [itex]\tau[/itex] is the proper time for a futute-directed timelike worldline.

Note also that when [itex]\tau = -1[/itex], both [itex]t[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex] are finite, but as [itex]\tau \rightarrow 0_-[/itex], both [itex]t[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex] wander off to positive infinity.

The situation is unphysical because the 4-acceleration is unbounded, although there are no hyperlight speeds.

Regards,
George

PS I think I have found an expression for the 4-acceleration of a specific example of pervect's problem, but I have to check to see if my solution really does satisfy the necessary criteria.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear George,

Thank you for sharing your interesting result with us. It is always exciting to see new developments in the field of Minkowski spacetime. Your worldline is indeed an interesting one, and I can see how it relates to pervect's "messy unsolved" problem.

I would like to point out that the unbounded 4-acceleration you have found is not necessarily a sign of unphysicality. In fact, in special relativity, there are examples of worldlines with unbounded 4-acceleration that are still physically valid. For example, the worldline of a charged particle in a uniform magnetic field has an unbounded 4-acceleration, but it is still a valid solution to the equations of motion.

However, it is important to check if your solution satisfies all the necessary criteria, as you mentioned. This is a crucial step in any scientific research, and it will help validate your findings.

I wish you all the best in your further investigations and look forward to hearing more about your progress on pervect's problem.

Thank you for sharing your interesting result, George! It is indeed fascinating to see how the proper time can lead to infinity in a finite amount of time. Your calculations and explanation are clear and well-presented.

It is also worth noting that while the situation may be unphysical due to the unbounded 4-acceleration, it still provides valuable insights and can potentially lead to further developments in understanding Minkowski spacetime.

I wish you the best of luck in verifying your solution for pervect's problem. Keep up the great work!

1. What is "Infinity in Finite Proper Time"?

"Infinity in Finite Proper Time" is a concept in physics that refers to the occurrence of infinite or unbounded quantities within a finite amount of time. It is often used to describe phenomena that appear to have an infinite amount of energy or mass within a finite timeframe.

2. How does "Infinity in Finite Proper Time" relate to relativity?

The concept of "Infinity in Finite Proper Time" is closely related to the theory of relativity, specifically the theory of special relativity. This theory states that time and space are relative to the observer, and that certain physical quantities, such as energy and mass, can appear to be infinite when viewed from different perspectives.

3. Can "Infinity in Finite Proper Time" occur in our everyday lives?

No, "Infinity in Finite Proper Time" is a concept that is typically only observed in extreme situations, such as near a black hole or in the early universe. In our everyday lives, the effects of relativity are negligible and we do not encounter infinite quantities within finite timeframes.

4. How is "Infinity in Finite Proper Time" calculated or measured?

The concept of "Infinity in Finite Proper Time" is not something that can be directly measured or calculated. It is a theoretical concept that is used to describe extreme phenomena that cannot be fully understood using traditional mathematical models.

5. What are some real-world examples of "Infinity in Finite Proper Time"?

Some examples of "Infinity in Finite Proper Time" include the singularity at the center of a black hole, the Big Bang singularity in the early universe, and the infinite time dilation experienced by a particle traveling at the speed of light. These are all extreme situations where traditional mathematical models break down and the concept of "Infinity in Finite Proper Time" becomes relevant.