What is a good text for learning mathematical physics?

In summary, the conversation is about a person named Pete who is looking for recommendations for a text on mathematical physics. He mentions having trouble with the math in a book he was previously reading and wants to switch to a different text. Another person, Daniel, suggests several books including Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Boas, Butkov's book, Arfken's book, Whittaker and Watson's book, and Hassani's book. Daniel also mentions that they used Matthews and Walker's book as preparation before reading Jackson's book on Classical Electrodynamics.
pmb_phy
I tried to read Classical Electrodynamics - 3rd Ed by J.D. Jackson cover to cover with the aim of working through all the homework problems. Problem: The math is too prohibitive. I need to drop that book for now and pick up a book on mathematical physics and go through that first. I'd like some recommendations for such a text. Thank you.

Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
Even though I never had it, Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Boas is usually recommended.

assyrian_77 said:
Even though I never had it, Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences by Boas is usually recommended.
Thanks. Much appreciated. Actually that is a text already on my list. I'm going to my old alma matta tommorow to pick up a few math-methods in physics text. I'd like to pick up a few of them to compare. Then I can decide which one to actually buy.

Pete

I don't know whether they are still in print but Butkov's book was a very good one as well as Arfken's. If you want to dig much deeper into the theory Whittaker and Watson is the classic.

Morse & Feshbach is the book that has them all. Trust me...

Daniel.

We spent a semester with Matthews and Walker before embarking on Jackson. It prepared us well for what was about to come up.

Hassani's book is also good for certain things at the graduate level.

1. What is mathematical physics?

Mathematical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical tools and methods to study and explain physical phenomena. It provides a framework for understanding the laws of nature and making predictions about the behavior of physical systems.

2. What topics are typically covered in a mathematical physics text?

A mathematical physics text typically covers topics such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and special relativity. It may also include topics such as differential equations, vector calculus, and group theory.

3. Is a strong background in mathematics necessary to study mathematical physics?

Yes, a strong foundation in mathematics is essential for studying mathematical physics. Topics such as calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations are heavily used in this field. Proficiency in mathematical reasoning and problem-solving is also important.

4. How is mathematical physics different from theoretical physics?

Mathematical physics focuses on using mathematical methods to describe and understand physical phenomena, while theoretical physics focuses on developing conceptual models and theories to explain the fundamental laws of nature. Mathematical physics is often considered a subset of theoretical physics.

5. Are there any real-world applications of mathematical physics?

Yes, mathematical physics has many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, astronomy, and materials science. It is used to develop models and simulations for predicting the behavior of complex systems, such as weather patterns, fluid dynamics, and electrical circuits.