Calculating Cumulative Time Changes over 20 Centuries

• Thread starter Fletcher
  • Start date
In summary, the exercise discusses the cumulative effect on the measure of time over 20 centuries if the length of a day increases uniformly by 0.0010s per century. The answer given in the book is 2.1 hours. The conversation also clarifies the calculation process and the difference between the increased length of a single day and the average increase per day over 20 centuries.
Fletcher
The exercise:

Assuming the length of the day uniformly increases by 0.0010s per century, calculate the cumulative effect on the measure of time over 20 centuries.

The answer given in the book:

2.1 hours

My initial thought was 0.001 x 20, but that's apparently wrong. I think I'm missing something basic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Everyday it increases uniformly by .001s per century so in one century each day will be .0001s longer. How much total time does this add on in 20 centuries?

Fletcher said:
My initial thought was 0.001 x 20, but that's apparently wrong. I think I'm missing something basic.
What you calculated is the increased length of a single day after 20 centuries. What's the average increase per day? How many days in 20 centuries?

1. What is a simple math problem?

A simple math problem is a mathematical equation or question that can be solved using basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. Can you give an example of a simple math problem?

One example of a simple math problem is: "If John has 10 apples and he gives 3 to his friend, how many apples does he have left?" The answer to this problem is 7.

3. How do I solve a simple math problem?

To solve a simple math problem, you need to follow the correct order of operations (PEMDAS), which is Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication or Division (from left to right), and Addition or Subtraction (from left to right). You can also use a calculator to help you solve the problem.

4. Is it important to know how to solve simple math problems?

Yes, it is important to know how to solve simple math problems as they are the foundation of more complex mathematical concepts. Being able to solve simple math problems can also help in everyday tasks such as budgeting, cooking, and shopping.

5. What should I do if I'm struggling with a simple math problem?

If you are struggling with a simple math problem, try breaking it down into smaller steps and solving each step individually. You can also ask a friend or teacher for help, or look for online resources such as tutorials or practice problems.