Tidal force energy analisis with calculus (help please)

In summary, you tried to solve part (a) but couldn't and you tried to solve part (b) but you think it may not be correct.
woz
I´ve been trying to solve this problem but I have been unable. I was able to solve part (a) but I can´t do part (b) I´d appreciate a lot if someone helped me.

the problem is the following:

Tidal power plants use "tidal energy" to produce electrical energy. To construct a tidal power plant, a dam is built to separate a bay from the sea. The amount of natural energy produced depends on the volume of the bay and the tidal range -- the vertical distance between high and low tides.

the basin is formed by a 3d rectangle with dimensions: 1000ft wide, 500 deep and 25 ft in height. The curve inside that 3d rectangle that is given by the function:
y= x(square)/40000 --> this is y=x*x/40000.

(a) Consider a basin with a rectangular base, as shown in the figure. The basin has a tidal range of 25 feet, with low tide corresponding to Y=0. How much water does the basin hold at high tide.

(b) The amount of energy produced during the filling (or the emptying) of the basin is proportional to the amount of work requiered to fill (or empty) the basin. How much work is requiered to fill the basin with seawater? (Use a seawater density of 64 pounds per cubic foot.)

I already answered part (a) but I'm not sure about part (b).

I´d appreciate some help.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00010.JPG
    DSC00010.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 554
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly have you tried so far?

hey

I solved (a) integrated the curve to get the area below it. Then multiplied that by the depth to get the volume under the curve then I got the volume of the 3d rectangle by multiplying 1000x500x25 and subrstracted the volume undert he curve from this. THis way I believe I got the volume of water that enters the damn.

I tried part (b). But I didn't use calculus in this part, I just did the standard W=Fd . I got the mass with the density and volume. I used the 1000 ft in the d and in the Force I used the Earth's gravity as acceleration. I don't think this is right.
Can you help me please?
IF you don't understand the drawing let me know and I'll draw one myself\

thanks a lot

Work= mass*height. The work done by the tide in raising the level of the water is the height the water is raised times the (average) height the water is raised. The potential energy then stored in that water is equal to the work done in raising that water.

Basically, what a "tidal power plant" does is open the gates and allow the tide to raise the level of the water in the bay. Then close the gates and use the stored water, at low tide, to run through dynamos, creating electricity.

Woz,

I'm sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner - Spring semester is pretty hectic for me.

It looks like you have gotten the help you need!

I need help with same problem. will you help me with this

1. How can calculus be used to analyze tidal force energy?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. In the context of tidal force energy, calculus can be used to analyze the rate of change of the tides, as well as the forces involved in the movement of water. By using calculus, we can better understand the patterns and fluctuations of tidal force energy.

2. What are some important factors to consider in a tidal force energy analysis?

When analyzing tidal force energy, it is important to consider factors such as the gravitational pull of the moon and sun, the shape of the coastline, and the depth of the water. These factors can greatly impact the strength and direction of tidal forces.

3. How does tidal force energy impact marine life?

Tidal force energy can have a significant impact on marine life. The ebb and flow of tides provide nutrients and oxygen to marine ecosystems, and also help to distribute sediments and organisms. However, extreme tidal forces can also cause disruptions and stress to marine animals.

4. Can tidal force energy be harnessed for renewable energy?

Yes, tidal force energy can be harnessed as a renewable energy source. This is typically done through the use of tidal turbines, which are placed in areas with strong tidal currents. The movement of the tides turns the turbines, generating electricity without producing greenhouse gas emissions.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of using tidal force energy?

One potential drawback of using tidal force energy is the high initial cost of constructing and maintaining the necessary infrastructure. Tidal energy systems also have the potential to disrupt marine ecosystems, and there may be concerns about the impact on marine animals and their habitats. Additionally, tidal forces can be unpredictable, making it difficult to fully rely on tidal energy as a consistent source of power.