Finding function continuity and derivatives

In summary: The function f is continuous on the interval (- \infty , -1 ), and Continuous on the interval (-1, 0 ), and (0 , + \infty) right? Do you know why?The function is continuous on the interval because the absolute value of the function makes it continuous.
ultima9999
I'm not sure where to start with this question. If a limit was given, I could solve it but without it given, I am completely lost...

State on which intervals the function [tex]f[/tex] defined by [tex]f(x) = \left\{\begin{array}{cc}|x + 1|,&x < 0\\x^2 + 1,&x \geq 0\end{array}\right.[/tex] is:

i) continuous
ii) differentiable
Find the derivative [tex]f'(x)[/tex] at all points where the function is differentiable.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It may be easier to ask yourself "Can I find discontinuities in f(x) or f'(x)?".

ultima9999 said:
I'm not sure where to start with this question. If a limit was given, I could solve it but without it given, I am completely lost...

State on which intervals the function [tex]f[/tex] defined by [tex]f(x) = \left\{\begin{array}{cc}|x + 1|,&x < 0\\x^2 + 1,&x \geq 0\end{array}\right.[/tex] is:

i) continuous
ii) differentiable
Find the derivative [tex]f'(x)[/tex] at all points where the function is differentiable.
Roughly speaking, a continuous function is a function whose graph is unbroken, i.e it has no "holes" or "jumps" (e.g the parabola y = x2 is everywhere continuous). Your function has absolute value in it, which makes it a little bit confusing when you look at it. So why don't we just break up the function to be:
[tex]f(x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll} - x - 1 & x < -1 \\ x + 1 & -1 \leq x < 0 \\ x ^ 2 + 1 & x \geq 0 \end{array} \right.[/tex]
Can you follow me?
Now the function is continuous on the interval [tex](- \infty , -1 )[/tex], and [tex](-1, 0 )[/tex], and [tex](0 , + \infty)[/tex] right? Do you know why?
Now to see if the function is continuous at -1, we simply check if:
[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow -1 ^ -} f(x) = \lim_{x \rightarrow -1 ^ +} f(x) = f(-1)[/tex]. If the equations above hold, then the function is continuous at x = -1. Just do the same to see if the function is continuous at x = 0.
To see on which interval is he function f(x) differentiable, first you can try to find f'(x), then find where f(x) is indifferentiable (i.e where f'(x) is discontinuous or undefined). Then we can simply drop out the x values that make f(x) indifferentiable to obtain the interval on which f(x) is differentiable.
Can you go from here? :)

Last edited:

What is function continuity?

Function continuity refers to the idea that a function is unbroken or uninterrupted over a certain interval or domain. This means that the value of the function at a specific point is equal to the limit of the function as it approaches that point.

How do you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is continuous if it meets three criteria: it is defined at that point, the limit of the function at that point exists, and the limit is equal to the function value at that point.

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a measure of how a function changes as its input changes. It represents the slope of the tangent line to a specific point on a graph and is used to find the rate of change of a function at a given point.

How do you find the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function can be found using the limit definition of a derivative or by using differentiation rules. The limit definition involves finding the slope of a tangent line at a specific point, while differentiation rules provide shortcuts for finding the derivative of common functions.

Why is finding function continuity and derivatives important?

Function continuity and derivatives are important because they help us understand and analyze the behavior of functions. They are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and more, to find rates of change, maximize or minimize functions, and make predictions.