Physics or math phd with engineering background?

In summary, the individual is currently studying for a BS in computer science and engineering and plans to apply for the MS electrical engineering program at the same school. They are considering pursuing a PhD in physics or mathematics, with a strong background in math and limited physics experience. They plan to take additional courses in solid state and quantum mechanics as part of their MS, and are petitioning to add graduate coursework in physics. They are wondering if they are being realistic in their plans and if they can get into a highly ranked physics PhD program with their strong academic record and research experience. They also inquire about funding options and the possibility of being a TA in physics or math. The conversation also discusses the experience of other successful physicists who started as engineers and offers advice
jbusc
Hi, I have a few questions about physics and math graduate school...thank you if you manage to read all this and answer questions...

I am currently studying for my BS in computer science and engineering at a school highly ranked for its engineering programs (perhaps you can guess which) and I will apply to the MS electrical engineering program at the same school, and I will almost certainly be accepted to that.

However, I am looking ahead to PhD and I am considering my options, including leaving engineering and entering physics or mathematics, primarily physics.

My current math background is fairly extensive for an engineer (number theory, LOTS of linear algebra, discrete math and set theory, multivariable calculus, probability+stat) while my physics is limited to two honors physics courses(basic mechanics+thermodynamics, E&M thru nonrelativistic Maxwell's, some special relativity and lagrangian mechanics) though as part of my MS I will take additional courses in Solid State and Quantum Mechanics, in electrical engineering department.

I am also petitioning to add some graduate coursework in physics to my MS. I anticipate at least one course (1 semester graduate general relativity) to be approved.

So - am I being realistic? If I perform well on the physics GRE, plus my strong coursework, undergrad research experience(published conference and journal papers) and very high GPA(3.9), can I get into a highly ranked physics PhD program? I know rankings are not important but.. also I have heard that computational experimental physicists are in very hot demand??

Plus, also how about funding? Due to my GPA and US citizen status I am apparently a very good candidate for research assistantships or even a graduate fellowship in engineering. Am I doomed to be a TA in physics/math?

Thanks again...any feedback appreciated...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One of the best experimental physicists I know has a BS in EE and went straight to a PhD in physics. I see no reason why you cannot make the change.

stefan banach was definitely one of the greatest mathematicians of the 20th century, & he started out an an engineer:

On leaving school Banach and Wilkosz both wanted to study mathematics, but both felt that nothing new could be discovered in mathematics so each chose to work in a subject other than mathematics. Banach chose to study engineering, Wilkosz chose oriental languages. That two such outstanding future mathematicians could make a decision for this reason must mean that there was nobody to properly advise them.

Banach's father had never given his son much support, but now once he left school he quite openly told Banach that he was now on his own. Banach left Kraków and went to Lvov where he enrolled in the Faculty of Engineering at Lvov Technical University...
...Banach was offered an assistantship to Lomnicki at Lvov Technical University in 1920. He lectured there in mathematics and submitted a dissertation for his doctorate under Lomnicki's supervision. This was, of course, not the standard route to a doctorate, for Banach had no university mathematics qualifications...

http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Biographies/Banach.html

Last edited:
fourier jr said:
stefan banach was definitely one of the greatest mathematicians of the 20th century, & he started out an an engineer

Paul Dirac (electrical) and Eugene Wigner (chemical) got their first degrees in engineering.

If you eventually want to do a PhD in Physics (or Math), why would you do an MS in EE ? That will not really be useful, as you'll still have to go through qualifying coursework in your PhD program (ie: your PhD time will not be significantly shorter than if you switched directly after your BS).

Well, I am certainly interested in what is offered in the MSEE. Also, my funding for my degrees will cover the MS tuition completely, making that degree essentially free (not counting other expenses & fees).

Plus whatever research I do I would hope would be interdisiplinary and the knowledge from my BS and MS would contribute.

Dr Transport said:
One of the best experimental physicists I know has a BS in EE and went straight to a PhD in physics. I see no reason why you cannot make the change.

Even I want to know...how do you prepare yourself for the switch while you are studying for the engineering degree?

maverick280857 said:
Even I want to know...how do you prepare yourself for the switch while you are studying for the engineering degree?

Take a couple of advanced courses in physics as additional courses while completing your degree. The friend of mine that I referred to had a one year course in modern/quantum physics and maybe a semester of advacned lab as an undergrad along with his EE degree. Many physics depeartments will accept graduate students who have other undergrad degrees as long as their are pertainant, i.e. engineering degrees, math degrees, chemistry degrees etc...Yes, you'll have to work harder in some of the courses like statistical physics and mechanics, but many times they will allow you to go abck and take those courses at the advanced undergrad level for at least partial credit towards a masters on your way to a PhD.

1. What is the difference between a Physics PhD and a Math PhD with an engineering background?

A Physics PhD typically focuses on the study of matter and energy, while a Math PhD with an engineering background focuses on the application of mathematical principles to engineering problems. However, both degrees involve extensive research and advanced coursework.

2. Can I pursue a Physics or Math PhD with an engineering background if I don't have an undergraduate degree in physics or math?

It is possible to pursue a PhD in Physics or Math with an engineering background even if you do not have an undergraduate degree in those subjects. However, you may be required to take additional coursework to bridge any knowledge gaps.

3. What are the career options for someone with a Physics or Math PhD with an engineering background?

Graduates with a Physics or Math PhD with an engineering background have a wide range of career options, including research and development positions in industries such as aerospace, energy, and technology. They may also pursue academic careers as professors or researchers.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a Physics or Math PhD with an engineering background?

The length of a PhD program can vary, but on average it takes 4-6 years to complete a Physics or Math PhD with an engineering background. This includes coursework, research, and dissertation writing.

5. What skills are necessary to be successful in a Physics or Math PhD with an engineering background?

Strong analytical and critical thinking skills, as well as a solid background in mathematics and physics, are necessary for success in a Physics or Math PhD with an engineering background. Good problem-solving abilities and the ability to work independently and in a team are also important.