Black and White Room: Dad & I Hypothesizing Ideas

• Thread starter kmbop53
  • Start date
In summary, My dad and I were discussing the idea of creating a black and white room with varying shades of grey or no colors at all, similar to old movies. We were unable to come up with a way to achieve this, but thought about using black-light bulbs to create a dark purple and white effect. Another option would be to paint everything in shades of eggshell to black, but pure white would create too much contrast. However, changing the properties of wavelengths is not possible, so using polarization filters may be a potential solution.
kmbop53
My dad and I were talking about how cool it would be to have a room that was black and white-consisting of a gradation of greys, or no colors like old movies. We were thinking about how it could be done and could not come up with anything. we were just hypothisising. any ideas on how this could work? or is it just a fun thing to think about

Physics news on Phys.org
The only way that I can think of, if you want the occupants to also be BW, would be to light it entirely with black-light bulbs. It will be dark violet (since that's the visible part of the spectrum that such bulbs emit) and white rather than black and white, but it might be the best approximation that you can get. If you don't care about the occupants, then just paint everything from an eggshell tone down to black. (Pure white will cause too much contrast.)

Hmm. That is a cool idea, but I really can't think of any way that it could be done. I mean, it's not like you can take a green paper into the room and suddenly change its properties of what wavelengths it absorbs. I don't know, if it could be done I'd imagine you would want to use some polarization filters.

1. What is the "Black and White Room: Dad & I Hypothesizing Ideas" experiment?

The "Black and White Room: Dad & I Hypothesizing Ideas" experiment is a thought experiment designed to explore the concept of qualia, or subjective experiences. It was first proposed by philosopher Frank Jackson in 1982.

2. How does the "Black and White Room: Dad & I Hypothesizing Ideas" experiment work?

In the experiment, a person is placed in a room with no windows and only black and white objects. They have access to all the scientific knowledge in the world, but they have never experienced color. The person is then asked to hypothesize about the experience of seeing color based on their knowledge.

3. What is the purpose of the "Black and White Room: Dad & I Hypothesizing Ideas" experiment?

The purpose of the experiment is to challenge the idea that all knowledge can be obtained through scientific understanding. It raises questions about the existence of subjective experiences and whether they can be fully understood through objective reasoning.

4. What are some criticisms of the "Black and White Room: Dad & I Hypothesizing Ideas" experiment?

One criticism is that the experiment relies on the assumption that the person in the room can truly have all knowledge, which is impossible. Another criticism is that it does not take into account the role of emotions and personal experiences in shaping our understanding of the world.

5. What are the implications of the "Black and White Room: Dad & I Hypothesizing Ideas" experiment?

The experiment challenges our understanding of consciousness and the limitations of scientific knowledge. It also raises questions about the nature of reality and the role of subjective experiences in shaping our understanding of the world.