Node method analysis with dependent current source annoying me

In summary: You use V2/2 in equation 2 because you need to calculate the voltage on the right side of the resistor.
esmeco
I've been trying to solve the exercise 4 below,but with no avail.I've worked through the equations,which I think that are okay, but I'm not sure because the result doesn't match with the one that is provided.Could you help me and check if those equations are okay?Also,how do I work with dependent sources like this one(current dependent) in this circuit?I need any help possible urgently!
Thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• aula_tp_03.pdf
    29.4 KB · Views: 464
Physics news on Phys.org

Sorry for the late post...Here are the equations for the nodes and for the dependent current source:

Node 1 : (v1-20)/2 + v1/20 + + (v1-v2)/20

Node 2 : (v2-v1)/5 + v2/10 + 8I0

I0=(V2-V1)/5

Could this be okay?Any help is appreciated!:rolleyes:

Boy, attachments sure are taking a long time to get approved lately in PF. Esmeco, can you post a link to the attachment? Like, post it someplace else and give us a link.

Thaks for the reply!
Here is the link:
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i281/esmeco/exercise4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When writing node equations I always do the following:

[tex] \sum I_{in}= \sum I_{out} [/tex]

and define a current as:
[tex] \frac{V_{tail}-V_{head}}{R}=I [/tex]

Where:
V_tail ----------- /\/\/ -------->--- V_head

So V_tail would be the voltage on one side of the resistor (with respect to ground), and V_head would be the voltage on the other side (with respect to ground). The current is defined to travel from tail to head.

This helps me keep the polarity straight.

So for the first node ([itex] V_1 [/itex]) you have defined all the currents to be leaving, thus:

We have ZERO current in, and THREE currents out:

The node equation is:
[tex] \frac{V_1-20}{2}+\frac{V_1}{20}+\frac{V_1-V_2}{5}=0[/tex]

Notice that you have:
(v1-20)/2 + v1/20 + + (v1-v2)/20

Can you go from there?

Also, on a side note (but related). After writing the node equations, I collect terms, and put them into a matrix. Then simply solve the matrix and you get your results. The resultant matrix for this question would be:
[tex] \left(\begin{array}{ccc} \frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{20}+\frac{1}{5}& \frac{-1}{5}& 0 \\ \frac{1}{5}&-\frac{-1}{5}-\frac{1}{10}&-8 \\ \frac{1}{5} & \frac{-1}{5} & -1 \end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array}{c} V_1 \\ V_2 \\ I_0 \end{array} \right) = \left( \begin{array}{c} \frac{20}{2} \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{array} \right) [/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!Actually,I mistyped the (v1-v2)/5 for (v1-v2/20).What I really have doubts in is in the node 2 equations...Is my equation of node 2 right?If not,could someone please correct me?I don't understand much about matrixes...

Last edited:
esmeco said:
Thanks for the reply!Actually,I mistyped the (v1-v2)/5 for (v1-v2/20).What I really have doubts in is in the node 2 equations...Is my equation of node 2 right?If not,could someone please correct me?I don't understand much about matrixes...
Be sure to make them equations, which requires an equal sign and two sides. Like this:

Node 1 : (v1-20)/2 + v1/20 + (v1-v2)/5 = 0

Node 2 : (v2-v1)/5 + v2/10 + 8I0 = 0

I0=(V2-V1)/5

Your corrected first equation and your second equation match the circuit. Now you need to solve the simultaneous equations to get the two voltages and the current. You can use matrices to help speed this up as FrogPad suggested, or you can just do it more manually with several steps of algebra. Show us how you go from these equations to the answers in the problem page.

Well,I tried to substitute the values of v1 and v2 on the equations,so that the final result on the equation side should equal 0.If I substitute the values for v1 and v2 on the current equation the value matches the one on the answers page but if I substitute the values of v1 and v2 on the node 2 equation it doesn't equal 0,so i thought that should be something wrong with my node 2 equation...Also,shouldn't I0=(v1-v2)/5 since the current is flowing from left to right?

Last edited:
Post your final nodal equations, and post the steps you are taking to solve them.

eq. 1:v1=(200 + 4v2)/15 and eq. 2: 14v1-13v2=0
In equation 2 those were the values that turned out after I've changed the I0 equation from (v2-v1)/5 to (v1-v2)/5 .And it works,since the results are the same on the answers page...but it still doesn't equal 0 when I substitute the values on the equation.Also,I'm wondering now,why one doesn't put the v2/2 on eq. 2?Thanks for the all the help!:)

esmeco said:
eq. 1:v1=(200 + 4v2)/15 and eq. 2: 14v1-13v2=0
In equation 2 those were the values that turned out after I've changed the I0 equation from (v2-v1)/5 to (v1-v2)/5 .And it works,since the results are the same on the answers page...but it still doesn't equal 0 when I substitute the values on the equation.Also,I'm wondering now,why one doesn't put the v2/2 on eq. 2?Thanks for the all the help!:)
You get almost zero when you substitute the answers back into the equations 1 & 2. It's just rounding error that keeps it from being exactly zero. Carry more significant figures in the answers to get closer to zero. Good point about the polarity of your 3rd equation, BTW. I missed that.

And you don't use V2/2 in equation 2 because you are summing the currents out of the node, and since there is a labelled current source in that leg, 8I0 is the current. The voltage across the 2 Ohm resistor is not V2, because you don't know what the voltage is across the current source.

Thanks for claryfying me about the v2/2 part and thanks for being very helpful!:)

1. What is the Node Method Analysis?

The Node Method Analysis is a circuit analysis technique used to solve circuits with multiple nodes (connection points) and dependent current sources. It involves creating equations for each node in the circuit and solving for the unknown node voltages.

2. How do I identify dependent current sources in a circuit?

Dependent current sources are denoted by a diamond-shaped symbol with an arrow pointing towards the current. They are also accompanied by an equation or proportionality factor that relates the current to another circuit variable.

3. Why is the Node Method Analysis useful for circuits with dependent current sources?

The Node Method Analysis is particularly useful for circuits with dependent current sources because it allows us to solve for the unknown node voltages without having to know the value of the dependent current. This is because the dependent current is expressed in terms of other circuit variables in the equations for each node.

4. What are the steps involved in using the Node Method Analysis?

The first step is to identify all the nodes in the circuit. Next, we assign a variable (usually a voltage) to each node and write equations for each node based on Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL). Then, we solve the resulting system of equations to find the unknown node voltages. Finally, we can use Ohm's Law to find any other desired circuit quantities.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Node Method Analysis?

While the Node Method Analysis is a powerful tool for solving circuits with dependent current sources, it does have some limitations. It cannot be used for circuits with voltage sources, and it can become tedious and time-consuming for circuits with a large number of nodes. In those cases, other circuit analysis techniques may be more efficient.