Perpetual Motion: Ideas & Input Welcome

In summary, perpetual motion is the idea of a device that can operate indefinitely without an external energy source, but it is considered impossible based on the laws of thermodynamics. However, scientists continue to study and debate this concept due to its potential implications for energy production and sustainability. There have been numerous proposed designs for perpetual motion machines, but none have been proven to work. Scientists use mathematical models and experiments to understand and analyze the concept of perpetual motion.
bucky1andonly
well, here's the thing, i have an idea and would love to share with everyone, but until i physically test it I am not going to, but if anyone has any input on the subject i would love to hear it

Physics news on Phys.org
Any input on your idea which you don't want to share?

Not going to happen!

Perpetual motion subject is tiresome and have not amounted to anything for eons. This is not a subject to be discussed in this forum.

Zz.

1. What is perpetual motion?

Perpetual motion is the hypothetical concept of a device that can continue to operate indefinitely without any external energy source. This idea has been studied and debated by scientists for centuries, but has never been successfully achieved.

2. Is perpetual motion possible?

Based on the laws of thermodynamics, perpetual motion is considered impossible. The first law states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred. The second law states that the total entropy (or disorder) of a closed system can only increase over time. Therefore, a perpetual motion machine would violate these laws.

3. Why is perpetual motion important?

The concept of perpetual motion has intrigued scientists and inventors for many years, as it would have significant implications in terms of energy production and sustainability. If a device could truly achieve perpetual motion, it could potentially provide an endless source of free energy.

4. What are some examples of perpetual motion machines?

There have been many proposed designs for perpetual motion machines throughout history, but none have been proven to work. Some of the most famous examples include the perpetuum mobile, a wheel that spins indefinitely using the force of gravity, and the magnetic perpetual motion machine, which uses magnets to supposedly create endless motion.

5. How do scientists study perpetual motion?

Scientists use mathematical and theoretical models to study the concept of perpetual motion and understand why it is considered impossible. They also conduct experiments to test proposed perpetual motion machines and analyze the results to determine the validity of the claims.