Hydrogen discharge question

In summary, the equation for solving this problem involves calculating the current in a hydrogen discharge, which is composed of both positive and negative charges. The equation is I = (np*qp - ne*qe)/ 1 sec, where np represents the number of protons, ne represents the number of electrons, and qp and qe represent the magnitude of charge for protons and electrons respectively. This equation takes into account the movement of both types of charges in opposite directions.
nateastle
I have been trying to figure out what the equation is for this problem:

A glass tube filled with gas has electrodes at each end. When a sufficiently high potential difference is applied between the two electrodes the gas ionizes; electrons move towards the positive electrod, and the positive ions move toward the negative electrode. a) What is the current in a hydrogen discharge if, in each second, 3.6 * 10 ^18 electrons and 1.15 * 10 ^18 protons move in the oppisite directions through a cross section of the tube?

I am not sure what the equation(s) is to solve this problem. I have searched my book to see if I can find something similar to this but have not been able to find anything that discusses this topic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Current is the charge (moving) per unit time.

The current in this case is composed of negative charges (electrons) and positive charges (protons), which move more slowly since they are heavier.

By convention, the current is in the direction of the movement of positive charge, which means in the direction of proton movement, and opposite the direction of the electron movement.

I = (np*qp - ne*qe)/ 1 sec.

The - sign before the electron contribution indicates that the electrons are moving opposite the protons. The charge on the qe[/sup] = -qp.

np = number of protons, ne = number of electrons

and q = magnitude of charge of the proton (+) and electron (-)

The equation you are looking for is the current equation, which is defined as the rate of flow of electric charge. It is represented by the symbol I and is measured in amperes (A). The equation for current is I = Q/t, where Q is the total charge that passes through a given cross section in a certain amount of time t. In this case, we can use the values given in the problem to calculate the current.

First, we need to find the total charge that passes through the cross section in one second. We know that 3.6 * 10 ^18 electrons and 1.15 * 10 ^18 protons move in opposite directions, so the total charge is the sum of the charge of the electrons and the protons. The charge of an electron is -1.6 * 10 ^-19 coulombs (C) and the charge of a proton is +1.6 * 10 ^-19 C. Therefore, the total charge is (3.6 * 10 ^18 * -1.6 * 10 ^-19) + (1.15 * 10 ^18 * 1.6 * 10 ^-19) = -5.76 * 10^-1 + 1.84 * 10^-1 = -3.92 * 10^-1 C.

Next, we need to find the time t. The problem states that the charge passes through the cross section in one second, so t = 1 second.

Now, we can plug these values into the current equation: I = Q/t = (-3.92 * 10^-1 C) / (1 second) = -3.92 * 10^-1 A. However, since current is a scalar quantity, we can ignore the negative sign and simply state that the current in the hydrogen discharge is 3.92 * 10^-1 A.

I hope this helps you solve the problem and understand the concept of current in a hydrogen discharge. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

1. What is a hydrogen discharge?

A hydrogen discharge is a phenomenon in which hydrogen gas is ionized, meaning its atoms lose or gain electrons, and emits light or other forms of energy. This can occur in various situations, such as in a plasma reactor or a hydrogen-filled tube.

2. How is hydrogen discharge used in science?

Hydrogen discharge is used in a variety of scientific applications, including in the study of plasma physics, materials science, and astrophysics. It is also used in technologies such as hydrogen fuel cells and plasma cutting.

3. What causes hydrogen to discharge?

Hydrogen discharge occurs when energy is applied to the gas, causing its atoms to become ionized. This can happen through various methods such as applying an electric current or heating the gas to high temperatures.

4. What are the different types of hydrogen discharge?

The three main types of hydrogen discharge are glow discharge, arc discharge, and corona discharge. Glow discharge is a low-pressure, low-current discharge that produces a faint glow. Arc discharge is a high-current discharge that creates a bright, sustained light. Corona discharge is a type of glow discharge that occurs at the edges of electrodes.

5. What are the potential hazards of hydrogen discharge?

Hydrogen discharge can be hazardous if proper precautions are not taken. The ionized gas can create intense heat and emit harmful ultraviolet radiation, which can cause burns and damage to skin and eyes. Additionally, hydrogen is highly flammable and can pose a fire or explosion risk if not properly controlled.