What is the atomic mass number of an element with given mass and number density?

In summary, the speaker is having difficulty understanding the problem and the relationship between the mass density and atomic mass number. They suggest dividing the number density by the atomic unit to get the atomic mass number but are unsure how the mass in kg plays a role. They ask for clarification on the relationship between mass density, number density, and atomic mass number.
mawalker
sorry, I'm having trouble grasping a lot of this... i feel like i have a general understanding of what's going on but a lot of the problems are still confusing to me...

this problem

An element in its solid phase has mass density 1750 kg/m3 and number density 4.39 * 10^28 atoms/m3.

asks what is the element's atomic mass number

i thought that it should just be 4.39*10^28 divided by 1.661 *10^-27 = u, but then I'm not sure where the mass in kg comes into play

Physics news on Phys.org
1 au = 1.661 *10^-27 Kg.

yeah, i know the atomic unit number but how does it relate to mass density?

can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm still not getting this :bugeye:

[tex]\rho=nm[/tex]

where rho is the mass density, n is the number density and m is the mass of the atoms.

1. What is atomic mass number?

The atomic mass number (A) is the total number of protons and neutrons in an atom's nucleus. It is an integer value that is unique to each element.

2. How is atomic mass number calculated?

Atomic mass number is calculated by adding the number of protons and neutrons in an atom's nucleus. This value can be found on the periodic table or by using a mass spectrometer.

3. Is atomic mass number the same as atomic weight?

No, atomic mass number and atomic weight are not the same. Atomic weight takes into account the relative abundance of each isotope of an element, while atomic mass number only considers the total number of protons and neutrons.

4. Why is atomic mass number important?

Atomic mass number is important because it can help identify different isotopes of an element. It is also used in calculations, such as determining the percent abundance of each isotope in a sample.

5. Can atomic mass number change?

Yes, atomic mass number can change through the process of nuclear reactions, such as fusion and fission. However, the number of protons in an atom's nucleus, known as the atomic number, cannot change without changing the identity of the element.