What is the Moment of Inertia of a Hollow Sphere?

In summary, the moment of inertia of a spherical shell with an inner radius and thickness can be calculated using integration or by considering it as the sum of the moments of inertia of a smaller inner sphere and the moment of inertia of a concentric outer spherical shell. Finding the density of the outer part and using it to calculate the moment of inertia of the solid sphere, then subtracting the moment of inertia of the inner sphere with the same density, is another method that can be used. However, it is important to note that the formal definition of volume and area for a sphere can result in a value of zero.
flash
The moment of inertia of a sphere rotating about the centre is (2/5)mr^2, but what if it has a hollow 'core'?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to be more specific. Is it a shell with negligible thickness? Are we considering an inner radius? Do you know how to integrate to find moment of inertia?

A (2-)sphere is hollow to begin with. So your question doesn't make too mush sense.

Daniel.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. There is an inner radius involved, so the thickness is not negligable. I know the basic idea of integration to find the moment of inertia, r^2dm, but haven't done much of it.

This problem is classical on PF. You should use the search option and I'm sure you'll get satisfied.

Daniel.

Okay, so you want to find the moment of a spherical SHELL (can you accept that wording, dexie?).

Now, described in spherical coordinates, set up the limits of integration for the three variables first!

flash said:
Sorry, I should have been clearer. There is an inner radius involved, so the thickness is not negligable. I know the basic idea of integration to find the moment of inertia, r^2dm, but haven't done much of it.

You can do it with integration, or just take advantage of the fact that calculating the moment of inertia is just an addition problem. The moment of inertia of a solid sphere (known) is the sum of the moments of inertia of a smaller inner sphere plus the moment of inertia of a concentric outer spherical shell.

dextercioby said:
A (2-)sphere is hollow to begin with. So your question doesn't make too mush sense.

Daniel.

Therefore the volume of a sphere is zero. Even mathematicians resort to "common usage" when it serves their purpose. I've never heard anybody say "the volume of the region bounded by a shpere of radius R" is . . . .

We of course are making the same mistake when we talk about the area of a circle. Using its formal definition, it has none.

Last edited:
Is a box hollow or filled, I wonder? :confused:

And what about the prolate spheroids and the parallellepipedes in the world?

Thanks for all the replies. I only know the mass of the outer part of the sphere. Here's what I think I will do: Find the density of the outer part, calculate the moment of inertia of the solid sphere with this density and subtract the moment of inertia of the inner sphere with this density. Will that work?

flash said:
Thanks for all the replies. I only know the mass of the outer part of the sphere. Here's what I think I will do: Find the density of the outer part, calculate the moment of inertia of the solid sphere with this density and subtract the moment of inertia of the inner sphere with this density. Will that work?

C'est parfait! Yes.

Cool, thanks.

OlderDan said:
Therefore the volume of a sphere is zero. Even mathematicians resort to "common usage" when it serves their purpose. I've never heard anybody say "the volume of the region bounded by a shpere of radius R" is . . . .

We of course are making the same mistake when we talk about the area of a circle. Using its formal definition, it has none.

Of course you didn't hear that, simply because they use the word "ball".

Daniel.

I use the word sphere. =)

What is the moment of inertia of a sphere?

The moment of inertia of a sphere is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is a property that depends on the mass distribution and the shape of the sphere.

How is the moment of inertia of a sphere calculated?

The moment of inertia of a sphere can be calculated using the formula I = 2/5 * mr², where m is the mass of the sphere and r is the radius.

Why is the moment of inertia of a sphere important?

The moment of inertia of a sphere is important because it is used to calculate the rotational kinetic energy of the sphere, as well as its angular acceleration and angular momentum. It also plays a role in determining how the sphere will behave when subjected to external forces.

Does the moment of inertia of a sphere depend on its density?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a sphere does depend on its density. This is because the distribution of mass within the sphere affects its rotational motion.

How does the moment of inertia of a sphere compare to other shapes?

The moment of inertia of a sphere is the same as that of a point mass located at its center of mass. This means that a sphere has the smallest moment of inertia for a given mass and radius compared to other shapes, making it easier to rotate.