Help With Gear Ratio: Calculate the Driven Pulley Size

In summary, to calculate the driven pulley size for a specific gear ratio, you will need to know the gear ratio, driving pulley size, and desired RPM. The formula is (Driving Pulley Size x Gear Ratio) / Desired RPM. The purpose of calculating the driven pulley size is to determine the speed and torque of the driven pulley, which is important in designing systems. The driven pulley size can be larger or smaller than the driving pulley size and has an inverse relationship with the gear ratio. However, there are limitations to the calculation, such as belt or chain slip and the size and type of the pulleys.
Janice12
I have a 8-1/2 inch drive pulley turning at 340 rpm. I want to have it drive a pulley and want that pulley, the driven pulley, to turn at 200 rpm. What is the formula to figure out what size pulley I need. Please help:smile: :smile:

Engineering news on Phys.org
The product of speed and diameter will be the same on both driven pulleys.

To calculate the driven pulley size, you can use the following formula:

Driven Pulley Size = (Drive Pulley Size x Drive Pulley Speed) / Desired Driven Pulley Speed

In this case, the drive pulley size is 8.5 inches and the drive pulley speed is 340 rpm. The desired driven pulley speed is 200 rpm.

Substituting these values into the formula, we get:

Driven Pulley Size = (8.5 inches x 340 rpm) / 200 rpm = 14.45 inches

Therefore, the driven pulley size should be 14.45 inches to achieve a driven pulley speed of 200 rpm.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How do I calculate the driven pulley size for a specific gear ratio?

To calculate the driven pulley size, you will need to know the gear ratio, the diameter of the driving pulley, and the desired RPM of the driven pulley. The formula for calculating the driven pulley size is: Driven Pulley Size = (Driving Pulley Size x Gear Ratio) / Desired RPM. For example, if the driving pulley is 10 inches in diameter, the gear ratio is 3:1, and the desired RPM is 500, the driven pulley size would be (10 x 3) / 500 = 0.06 inches.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the driven pulley size?

Calculating the driven pulley size is important because it determines the speed and torque of the driven pulley. This is crucial in designing systems that require specific speeds or torque for their operation, such as in vehicles, machinery, and industrial equipment.

3. Can the driven pulley size be larger or smaller than the driving pulley size?

Yes, the driven pulley size can be either larger or smaller than the driving pulley size. The size of the driven pulley will depend on the gear ratio and desired RPM, as well as the size and type of the driving pulley.

4. What is the relationship between gear ratio and pulley sizes?

The gear ratio and pulley sizes have an inverse relationship. This means that as the gear ratio increases, the driven pulley size decreases and vice versa. It is important to keep this relationship in mind when calculating the driven pulley size.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating the driven pulley size?

Yes, there are some limitations to calculating the driven pulley size. The formula for calculating the driven pulley size assumes that the belt or chain connecting the two pulleys has perfect tension and does not slip. In reality, there may be some slip, which can affect the accuracy of the calculated pulley size. Additionally, the size and type of the pulleys may also affect the accuracy of the calculation.