Solving GNOME Login Error: "Unable to Determine Message Bus

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation describes a problem with the desktop and panel icons disappearing while changing icon themes. The user was able to access windows but nothing else and had to reboot multiple times before entering failsafe mode. They then encountered an error message about the GNOME Settings Daemon and are unsure how to fix it. The conversation ends with a suggestion to update to the latest version of Ubuntu and a link to a forum discussing a similar error.
neutrino
I was just changing icon themes, when all of a sudden the icons on the desktop and the panel disappeared.(I've been noticing that using the Themes Manager makes the Processes applet go all blue) I was still able to access the windows, but nothing much else. (It was a semi-crash, so to speak) So I rebooted the computer, but it would not go beyond the splash. I rebooted again, and entered the failsafe mode, and that's where I'm typing this message from.

As soon as I logged in, an error message popped up
There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The last error message was:

Unable to determine the address of the message bus (try 'man dbus-launch' and 'man dbus-daemon' for help)

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.

I'm not sure what to do to get back to my original desktop. Please help.

Ubuntu 6.10(Dualboot with now rarely used XP)|P4 1.72GHz|256MB RAM

Computer science news on Phys.org
Try updating to the latest version of Ubuntu and then look at this link
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-enterprise-47/error-starting-gnome-setting-daemon-652403/

1. How do I solve the GNOME login error "Unable to Determine Message Bus"?

The first step to solving this error is to check if the D-Bus service is running. To do this, open the terminal and type "sudo service dbus status". If the status shows it is not running, type "sudo service dbus start" to start the service. If the service is already running, try restarting it by typing "sudo service dbus restart".

2. What should I do if restarting the D-Bus service does not solve the error?

If restarting the D-Bus service does not solve the error, try reinstalling the D-Bus package. Open the terminal and type "sudo apt-get install --reinstall dbus". This command will reinstall the D-Bus package and may fix any issues that were causing the error.

3. Can I fix the error without using the terminal?

Yes, you can try using the GNOME Tweak Tool. Open the Tweak Tool and go to the "Extensions" tab. Look for an extension called "DBus-Tools" and make sure it is enabled. This extension helps manage the D-Bus service and may help solve the error.

4. What other troubleshooting steps can I try?

If the above steps do not solve the error, you can try resetting the GNOME desktop settings. Open the terminal and type "dconf reset -f /org/gnome/". This will reset all the GNOME desktop settings to their default values and may help fix the error.

5. Should I contact technical support if none of the above steps work?

If none of the above steps work, it may be best to contact technical support for further assistance. They may be able to provide more specific troubleshooting steps or help identify any underlying issues causing the error.

Back