Elctric potential ,electric field strength,EPE

In summary: The equation that you are using to calculate the electric field strength (or potential) in a given area is a static equation. This means that the equation does not change with time (unless something else is changing in the equation that is affecting the electric field strength or potential). This is why the electric field strength (or potential) inside of a charged sphere is zero (or very close to zero). The electric field strength (or potential) is also affected by the distance between the charge and the object being measured. The closer the object is to the charge, the stronger the electric field will be. However, the electric field intensity (or magnitude) is inversely proportional to the distance between the charge and the object being measured
ghulamali
can anyone explain me these terms electric potential,electric field strength inside charged sphere and how they are affected by distance.why electric field intensity is zero inside sphere.what is E-V relation,potential difference and electric field intensity

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, ghulamali. What is the context of your question -- what courses are you taking on this subject, and at what educational level? What learning resources do you have at your disposal? You should be able to write out at least the basic static electric field equations for us to discuss.

i am in ALEVEL(advanced level)
i know definitions of electric potential,electric field intensity
but please can u tell me why electric field intensity inside charged sphere is zero
2: how the electric potential and electric strength varies with distance and 3:measuring potential difference between parallel plate 4:relationship between potential difference and electric field intensity
please reply me soon
i will be thankful to u

Nope, sorry. You cannot get help with the questions that your have posed so far. Please re-read the posting rules and try again. You need to tell us what you know and think so far, and then we go crazy helping you.

This is the best place on the Internet to get tutorial help on technical subjects. But we do not give out answers -- we give out tutorial help to hard-working students. Show us your work so far.

Last edited:
And please, please, please, use the Homework Help Posting Template that you deleted when you posted. There's a number of important reasons that we pop that template up, eh?

which graph correctly relates the electric field strength or electrical potential in field of point charge with distance r from charge.
there are four options,all r straight line graph one is field strength vs r^2,other is field strength vs 1/r and third is potential vs r and fourth is potential vs 1/r.i think its option must be field strength vs 1/r ,it should be 1/r as graph is of directly proportional but electric field intensity is inversly proportional to distance,but book has checked potential vs 1/r,which i cannot understand
that was my attempt
please can u now help me

Nope sorry. Try again with the Homework Posting Template.

The (re-)statement by you of the relevant equations usually solves the problem. Quiz Question -- Why is that?

What is electric potential?

Electric potential, also known as voltage, is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction.

How is electric potential measured?

Electric potential is typically measured in units of volts (V). This can be measured using a voltmeter, which measures the potential difference between two points in an electric field.

What is electric field strength?

Electric field strength, also known as electric field intensity, is a measure of the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed in an electric field. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is electric field strength related to electric potential?

Electric field strength is directly related to electric potential. The electric field strength at a point is equal to the negative gradient of the electric potential at that point. In other words, the direction of the electric field is in the direction of decreasing potential.

What is electric potential energy (EPE)?

Electric potential energy is the potential energy that a charged particle possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is calculated by multiplying the charge of the particle by the electric potential at its position.