Exploring Goldbach's Conjecture: Three Papers Analyzed

• Thread starter Saketh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conjecture
In summary, Goldbach's Conjecture is still an unresolved issue in mathematics. The three papers referenced in the conversation are not necessarily reliable sources as arXiv is not peer-reviewed.
Saketh
I was under the impression that Goldbach's Conjecture is still an open question in mathematics.

Then what is it that the following three papers claim to do? (http://arxiv.org/ftp/math/papers/0609/0609486.pdf" [Broken])

Thanks for clearing up my confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's still an open problem as far as I'm aware. The thing about arXiv is it isn't peer-reviewed, so the papers you linked to could simply be BS (and probably are).

morphism said:
It's still an open problem as far as I'm aware. The thing about arXiv is it isn't peer-reviewed, so the papers you linked to could simply be BS (and probably are).
OK. I suspected that the papers were BS, but I wasn't sure if arXiv was peer-reviewed. Thanks!

1. What is Goldbach's Conjecture?

Goldbach's Conjecture is a mathematical statement that proposes every even number greater than 2 can be expressed as the sum of two prime numbers. It was first stated by Christian Goldbach in 1742 and has yet to be proven or disproven.

2. Why is Goldbach's Conjecture important?

Goldbach's Conjecture is important because it is one of the oldest and most famous unsolved problems in mathematics. It has also been shown to have connections to other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and algebraic geometry.

3. Has anyone ever proved Goldbach's Conjecture?

No, as of now, Goldbach's Conjecture has not been proven. However, in 2013, two mathematicians proposed a proof using techniques from algebraic geometry, but it has not yet been accepted as a valid proof by the mathematical community.

4. Are there any known counterexamples to Goldbach's Conjecture?

No, there are no known counterexamples to Goldbach's Conjecture. In fact, computational evidence has been gathered to support the conjecture for numbers up to 4 x 10^18, but this is not a proof.

5. What progress has been made on Goldbach's Conjecture?

Many mathematicians have attempted to prove Goldbach's Conjecture, but so far, no one has been successful. However, some progress has been made in understanding special cases of the conjecture and developing mathematical tools that could potentially lead to a proof in the future.