Integration by parts ln(x^2+14x+24)

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of integrating ln(x^2+14x+24) using integration by parts. The chosen u and dv are substituted, resulting in the integral equaling xln(x^2+14x+24) - ∫ (x(2x+14))/x^2+14x+24. The remaining quotient is then integrated using long division and partial fractions. It is also recommended to remember to include dx in the integral. Additionally, it is advised to factor any quadratic equations inside ln for easier integration.
cmantzioros

Homework Statement

∫ ln(x^2+14x+24)

Homework Equations

Integration by parts: ∫ udv = uv - ∫ vdu

The Attempt at a Solution

I chose u = ln(x^2+14x+24) and dv = dx therefore

du = 2x+14/x^2+14x+24 and v = x

Then once I substitute, I get:

∫ ln(x^2+14x+24) = xln(x^2+14x+24) - ∫ (x(2x+14))/x^2+14x+24

Now I can't figure out how to integrate ∫ (x(2x+14))/x^2+14x+24. I've tried multiplying out, factoring. I thought I might have to use integration by parts again but it's not working out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try factoring
x^2+14x+24=(x+2)(x+12)
ln(ab)=ln(a)+ln(b)

for the method you used:

to integrate the remaining quotient, use long division and then partial fraction.

*by the way, you should put dx in your integral... some prof. take points off for that.

As they should, forgetting your differential is a crime!

And yes, christianjbs idea is quite easier

In fact, if you see ANY quadratic equation inside LN, factor it, even if the solutions are ugly. Makes things much easier.

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a technique used in calculus to evaluate integrals that are products of two functions. It is based on the product rule of differentiation.

How do you use integration by parts?

To use integration by parts, you need to identify which function in the integral is the "u" function and which is the "dv" function. Then, you can use the formula ∫udv = uv - ∫vdu to solve the integral.

What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫udv = uv - ∫vdu, where u and v are functions and du and dv represent their derivatives with respect to the integration variable.

When should I use integration by parts?

Integration by parts is useful for evaluating integrals that involve products of functions, especially when one of the functions is easy to integrate but the other is not.

Can integration by parts be used for ln(x^2+14x+24)?

Yes, integration by parts can be used for ln(x^2+14x+24) as long as you can identify appropriate "u" and "dv" functions. This will depend on the specific form of the integral.