How do galaxies form and move?

In summary: Given that we don't yet know precisely, we can make the connection between galaxy formation and the fluctuations in the CMBR.
Nereid said:
I've read this twice now, and must say that I don't know what it means - could you clarify please?
I was acknowledging the fact that to consider the idea of our expanding universe having a "before or beyond" was against the mainstream. I know the mention of a greater universe is the stimulus for the mainstream to defend the position that, "we cannot know and therefore it is speculation". I thought you agreed with that is all I was saying.
I thought I did ... unless you have something to replace, or extend, GR (or unless you have a much better handle on "DE"), all you've got is empty rhetoric, haven't you?
I guess that is your view and you must be pretty certain that it is the prevailing view. Otherwise you wouldn't confront a simple discussion with quotes about what the purpose of physicsforums is and what the impact of speculation can do to the education of visitors here.
I mean, of course "the existence of a greater universe might simplify the explanation of dark energy" ... but then it might not ...Not me ...
Exactly.
unless they've changed, discussion of overly speculative ideas is explicitly ruled out in PF's rules ...

OK, https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374" (my bold):
"It is against our Posting Guidelines to discuss, in most of the PF forums, new or non-mainstream theories or ideas that have not been published in professional peer-reviewed journals or are not part of current professional scientific discussion."

Fine, are you saying that the current professional scientific discussion of dark energy is not going on right now? If it is not will you please explain all of the recent articles, posts, press, and yes even what actually looks like "discussion" about dark energy as a cause of the accelerating expansion?

Maybe you are saying that I can't participate yet? How do I know when I can?

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
bogie said:
Fine, are you saying that the current professional scientific discussion of dark energy is not going on right now? If it is not will you please explain all of the recent articles, posts, press, and yes even what actually looks like "discussion" about dark energy as a cause of the accelerating expansion?
Such a discussion is a simple step beyond current mainstream to suggest one, just one of many to be sure, explanation for the accelerating expansion; a tiny step that I have thought about for years and that unless I am mistaken, has been considered by every serious scientist since the discovery of the red shift. Dark energy makes the discussion pertinent to science if it could explain the source of dark energy.

Just empty space in the greater universe would help explain accelerating expansion. Instead of a repulsive force within our expanding universe, empty space surrounding it could pull us out into it, wouldn't it?

On the other hand “just empty” space alone would have nothing to contribute to the preconditions or the energy of the big bang. If we are going to allow the thought of space existing beyond the expanding universe, it might be appropriate to discuss that space as the source of the big bang in the first place wouldn't it?

We do know that the big bang had plenty of energy. For that reason why wouldn't we conclude that any such greater universe might contain space as well as energy that could contribute to the pre-conditions of, and initiation of the big bang?