Conditional probability problem - help need

In summary, the problem at hand involves a conditional probability related to hurricanes. The probability of getting 4 or more hurricanes is 0.07 and the probability of getting 2 or more hurricanes is 0.42. The total probability of getting at least one hurricane is 0.75.
ORACLE
hi

I got a stats problem infornt of me. I figured out that it is abaut conditional probability. But I am stuck :confused: .

# hurricanes 0 1 2 3 4 5 6
probability .25 .33 .24 .11 .04 .02 .01

prob >6 is 0
questions are independent.
a.) what is prob 2< X <5?
b.) 2 hurr are already observed. what is the prob for 4 or more?
c.) 1 hurr is already observed. what is the prob for at least 1 or more?
thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let us take b) as an example:

Now, we must have P(4)=P(2)*P(4|2)
P(4|2) is the one you are looking after; that is:

P(4|2)=P(4)/P(2)=0.04/0.24=4/24=1/6.

thanks arildno

but one doubt.
as the question asks for prob of 4 or more, do i have to find for 5 and 6 the same way and add the probs?

Dear oh dear, I made a grievous mistake here!

In the conditional probability, I should have used the "probability of getting a first hurricane", P(>=1), rather than "the prob of getting exactly 1 hurricane", P(1).
Sorry about that!

Now, P(>=1) equals the sum of the probabilities of non-zero events, i.e P(>=1)=0.75.
In addition, I misreadread in b) the probability to be that of EXACTLY 4, rather than 4 or more.

Thus, in b) P(>=4|>=1)=P(>=4)/P(>=1), P(>=4)=0.07

And in c)
P(>=2)|>=1)=P(>=2)/P(>=1), P(>=2)=0.42.

thanks a lot arildno

1. What is conditional probability?

Conditional probability is the probability of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It takes into account additional information that can affect the outcome of an event.

2. How is conditional probability calculated?

Conditional probability is calculated by taking the probability of the two events occurring together and dividing it by the probability of the first event occurring. This can be represented mathematically as P(A|B) = P(A and B) / P(B).

3. What is the difference between conditional and unconditional probability?

Unconditional probability, also known as marginal probability, is the probability of an event occurring without any additional information. Conditional probability takes into account additional information that can affect the outcome of an event.

4. Why is conditional probability important?

Conditional probability is important because it helps us make more accurate predictions and decisions by considering the influence of other events. It is also used in many real-world applications, such as in medical diagnoses and weather forecasting.

5. Can you give an example of a conditional probability problem?

One example of a conditional probability problem is the probability of a person having a certain disease, given that they tested positive for it. This would involve calculating P(Disease|Positive test result) by using the formula P(Disease and Positive test result) / P(Positive test result).