Asymptotic behaviour of a polynomial root

In summary, the value N(n) of N that satisfies the equation is N(n)=1.5+n/ln2+O(1/n), where the O(1/n) term is about 1/400n for n>10. This result has been verified up to n=1000 using Lenstra's long integer package. It is possible that this can be proved without brute-force calculation by examining the expansion of (N-i)^n and finding a simplified fundamental function. However, it is likely that this will only be approximately equal to an elementary function.
nugae
I've been looking at the value N(n) of N that satisfies the equation

[tex] \sum_{1}^{n}(N-i)^{n}=N^{n} [/tex]

Thus turns out to be

[tex] N(n)=1.5+\frac{n}{ln2}+O(1/n) [/tex]

where the O(1/n) term is about 1/400n for n>10.

I've verified this by calculation up to about n=1000, using Lenstra's long integer package LIP.

This result is so beautiful and simple that it must be possible to prove it without brute-force calculation. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to begin then I'd be very grateful!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hummm looking at it, I'd say that if you examine the expansion of (N-i)^n and then study how do things look when you add from 1 to n, there should be a series that emerges which can be simplified to a fundamental function. However, this could be misleading as the expansion of these functions have an infinite number of terms and clearly this isn't the case on the left.

Well, usually these sorts of things don't turn out to be equal to an elementary function -- you have to settle for approximately equal.

The problem is, I don't yet see any useful approximation to that series, or even to part of it. :frown:

1. What is the definition of asymptotic behaviour of a polynomial root?

The asymptotic behaviour of a polynomial root refers to the behavior of the root as the degree of the polynomial approaches infinity. It describes how the root changes or approaches a certain value as the polynomial becomes increasingly complex.

2. How is the asymptotic behaviour of a polynomial root related to the degree of the polynomial?

The asymptotic behaviour of a polynomial root is directly related to the degree of the polynomial. As the degree of the polynomial increases, the asymptotic behaviour of the root becomes more complex and can approach a certain value, become periodic, or diverge to infinity.

3. Can a polynomial have more than one asymptotic root?

Yes, a polynomial can have multiple asymptotic roots. In fact, the number of asymptotic roots is equal to the degree of the polynomial. This means that a cubic polynomial can have up to three asymptotic roots, a quartic polynomial can have up to four, and so on.

4. How do the coefficients of a polynomial affect its asymptotic behaviour?

The coefficients of a polynomial have a significant impact on its asymptotic behaviour. They determine the shape and complexity of the polynomial, which in turn affects the behaviour of its roots. For example, a polynomial with a leading coefficient of 1 will have simpler asymptotic behaviour compared to one with a leading coefficient of 2.

5. Can the asymptotic behaviour of a polynomial root be predicted?

It is not possible to predict the exact asymptotic behaviour of a polynomial root, as it can vary greatly depending on the coefficients and degree of the polynomial. However, certain patterns and trends can be observed, and techniques such as graphing and numerical methods can help analyze and understand the behaviour of polynomial roots.