Flow Rate in Venturi Meter: .03825 L/s

In summary: Thanks for all your help, by the way, I appreciate it! To think of my 40k / year tuition and I need to find help online from a helpful stranger.
LikwidN2

Homework Statement

• Known/Given
    • Water flows through a Venturi meter (mercury [density=13.6E3 kg/m^3] in the manometer).
    • Pipe size: 10.0cm diameter
    • Constriction size: 5.6cm diameter
    • Height difference of mercury: 2.3cm
  • Unknown - Flow Rate (L/s)

Homework Equations

• Bernoulli's - P1 + (1/2)*d*V1^2 = P2 + (1/2)*d*(V2)^2
  • Flow Rate - I = A1*V1 = A2 * V2
  • Pressure drop - the book has this exact example, and says that P1 - P2 = (D_fluid [water] - D_liquid [mercury])*g*H
However, I don't understand why the pressure drop isn't just:
D_mercury*g*H

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the book's guided steps:
  • V2 = (A1/A2)*V1
  • P1 - P2 = (1/2)*D_water*((A1/A2)^2-1)*V1^2
  • (1/2)*D_water*((A1/A2)^2-1)*V1^2 = (D_water - D_mercury)*g*H
  • v1 = 0.7875m/s
  • v1 = 78.75cm/s
  • Flow = 78.75 * pi * (10cm/2)^2 = 6185 cm^3/s
  • 6185 cm^3/s * ([1 L/s] / [1000^3 cm^3/s]) = .03825 L/s

This is off everyone's favorite online homework system, WebAssign, and I have used 5/6 submissions :bugeye: I'm terribly sorry for the awful formatting, but I don't have access to a good typesetting program as of yet (downloading TeX as we speak [well... as I type]).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree that you should just use the delta P given in 23mm Hg. See what answer you come up with and we can look that over before No 6 submission.

After confirming with a friend, I realized that I just had the conversion factor wrong. Their method worked, and apparently m^3/s * 1000 = L/s. Unfortunately, this leaves me no closer to understand why they used the two densities and not just the mercury density. With a lot of luck I might be able to extract a coherent [say: in English] answer from my TA, but probably not.

anychance you can post a picture if given? I get 6.42L/s using just 23mmHg for delta P

Picture

13-17.gif

The correct answer turned out to be 12.7 L/s. I get everything except for the use of the change in densities.

Thanks for all your help, by the way, I appreciate it! To think of my 40k / year tuition and I need to find help online from a helpful stranger.

LikwidN2 said:
13-17.gif

The correct answer turned out to be 12.7 L/s. I get everything except for the use of the change in densities.

Thanks for all your help, by the way, I appreciate it! To think of my 40k / year tuition and I need to find help online from a helpful stranger.

Thats too funny and sad at the same time. I went to school when many of the TA's still spoke english.

anyhow, all i know is that the delta p and rho need to be in the same units as you can't mix and match say mm Hg with density of water in g/ml etc. Let me know if you get a good explanation.

1. What is a Venturi meter?

A Venturi meter is a type of flow meter that measures the flow rate of a fluid through a pipe by using the principle of Bernoulli's equation. It consists of a narrow throat section in the middle of the pipe where the fluid velocity increases and a pressure difference is created. This pressure difference can then be used to calculate the flow rate.

2. How does a Venturi meter work?

A Venturi meter works by creating a constriction in the flow of a fluid. As the fluid passes through the narrow throat section, its velocity increases and it creates a pressure difference between the throat and the larger diameter sections of the pipe. This pressure difference is then measured and used to calculate the flow rate using Bernoulli's equation.

3. What is the significance of the flow rate of .03825 L/s in a Venturi meter?

The flow rate of .03825 L/s is the value obtained from the measurement of fluid flow through a Venturi meter. It is an important parameter as it represents the rate at which the fluid is flowing through the pipe and can be used to monitor and control the flow in various industrial applications.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the flow rate measurement in a Venturi meter?

The accuracy of the flow rate measurement in a Venturi meter can be affected by various factors such as the viscosity of the fluid, the shape and size of the Venturi meter, and any obstructions or disturbances in the flow. Additionally, the calibration and installation of the meter can also impact its accuracy.

5. How can the flow rate in a Venturi meter be improved?

The flow rate in a Venturi meter can be improved by ensuring proper calibration and installation, using a Venturi meter with the correct size and shape for the specific application, and minimizing any obstructions or disturbances in the flow. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the meter can also help to improve its accuracy and performance.