Searching for Laplace & Grassman's Original Works: Where to Find?

In summary, the speaker was looking for original works by Laplace and Grassman, but was unable to find them on Amazon. They asked for recommendations on where to find these texts and also mentioned their ability to read French. The other person suggested looking for Riemann's papers online, but warned that they may be difficult to understand. They also recommended "God Made the Integers" edited by Stephen Hawking, which is a collection of original classic texts. The speaker clarified the title of the book and mentioned its ISBN number. They also suggested searching various websites for historical math texts, but noted that some may not be translated into English.
Terilien
I was trying to find the orginal works of laplace and grassman, but could not find them. Well I found some on amazon but they were permanently out of stock. So I ask you, where in the world can I find them?

Also are there any other good texts that you'd liek to recommend(I speak fluent french)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Are you specifically asking about old texts written by the masters?

Riemann's most popular papers are easy to find on the internet, but they're incomprehensible to mere mortals. Personally, I have been wanting to read Euler's calculus book.

Yes that's what I'm referring too.

Last edited:
You might get "God made the integers", edited by Stephen Hawking.

This is a collection of original classic texts, from Euclid to Alan Turing.

arildno said:
You might get "God made the integers", edited by Stephen Hawking.

This is a collection of original classic texts, from Euclid to Alan Turing.
Isn't it called, "God created the integers"? :redface:

ISBN 0-141-01878-X
on my copy

1. Where can I find Laplace and Grassman's original works?

The original works of Laplace and Grassman can be found in various libraries and archives around the world. Some examples include the National Library of France, the Library of Congress, and the University of Göttingen Library. Online versions of their works can also be found on websites such as Google Books and Project Gutenberg.

2. Are there any specific editions or translations of their works that are recommended?

There are many editions and translations of Laplace and Grassman's works available. Some highly recommended editions include the "Oeuvres Complètes de Laplace" edited by Pierre Simon Laplace himself, and the "Gesammelte Mathematische und Physikalische Werke" edited by Hermann Grassmann's grandson. As for translations, the "A Philosophical Essay on Probabilities" by Laplace and "A New Mathematical and Philosophical Dictionary" by Grassmann are popular choices.

3. Are there any online databases or resources dedicated to the works of Laplace and Grassman?

Yes, there are several online databases and resources that focus on the works of Laplace and Grassman. Some examples include "Laplace Online" which provides access to all of Laplace's works in their original language, and "Grassmanniana" which offers a comprehensive collection of Grassman's mathematical and philosophical works.

4. Are there any rare or unpublished works by Laplace and Grassman that are worth seeking out?

Yes, there are some rare and unpublished works by Laplace and Grassman that are highly sought after by scholars. One example is Laplace's "Théorie Analytique des Probabilités" which was only recently discovered and published in 2012, over 200 years after its original conception. Another is Grassman's "Theorie der Ausdehnungslehre" which was only published posthumously in 1878.

5. How can I access the original manuscripts of Laplace and Grassman's works?

The original manuscripts of Laplace and Grassman's works are housed in various institutions, such as the French National Archives and the University of Tübingen Library. In order to access these manuscripts, you may need to make an appointment with the institution in question or obtain special permission. Some institutions also offer digital copies of their manuscripts online for easier access.