Diffraction grating of white light

In summary, the first-order spectrum of white light with wavelengths from 405 nm to 760 nm on a grating with 7510 lines/cm, falls on a screen 2.29 m away, would have a width of approximately 2.33 m. This is calculated by finding the locations of the first-order spectrum for the shortest and longest wavelengths in the range and taking the average.
lovelylm1980
White light containing wavelengths from 405 nm to 760 nm falls on a grating with 7510 lines/ cm. How wide is the first-order spectrum on a screen 2.29 m away?

I'm not sure the way this question is worked out, but what I have so far is

sin(theta)=[m*Lambda+ m*Lambda]/d
d=1/7510cm=1.33e-6m
sin(theta)=[(407e-9m)+(705e-9m)]/1.33e-6m= 0.876 theta=61 degrees
width=2x(tan theta)=(2*2.29)*(tan 61)=8.32m

I have the wrong answer so I must have done something wrong. Can someone help?

Science news on Phys.org
Originally posted by lovelylm1980
White light containing wavelengths from 405 nm to 760 nm falls on a grating with 7510 lines/ cm. How wide is the first-order spectrum on a screen 2.29 m away?

I'm not sure the way this question is worked out, but what I have so far is

sin(theta)=[m*Lambda+ m*Lambda]/d
d=1/7510cm=1.33e-6m
sin(theta)=[(407e-9m)+(705e-9m)]/1.33e-6m= 0.876 theta=61 degrees
width=2x(tan theta)=(2*2.29)*(tan 61)=8.32m

I have the wrong answer so I must have done something wrong. Can someone help?

n*lambda = d*sin(theta)

n=1 in this case, and you know d.

Find theta for lambda=405 nm, and then find the location of this 1st order on the screen. Next, find theta again for lambda=760 nm, and again find the location on the screen. The continuous spectrum will be in between these two locations.

The mistake that you made was thinking that delta(sin(theta)) is the same as delta(theta) or sin(delta(theta)).

Zz.

Is this correct

sin theta= (1)*(4.05e-7m)/(1.33e-6m)= 0.305 theta=17.8
location= 2x(tan 17.8)= (2*2.29)*0.321=1.47m

sin theta= (1)*(7.60e-7m)/(1.33e-6m)= 0.571 theta=34.8
location= 2x(tan 34.8)= (2*2.29)*0.695= 3.18m

so then should the answer to the question be
3.18m+1.47m/2= 2.33m

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is a device that contains a large number of parallel, equally spaced grooves or lines that are used to separate light into its component wavelengths. It works on the principle of diffraction, where light waves bend and spread out when passing through narrow slits or closely spaced lines.

2. How does a diffraction grating produce a spectrum of white light?

When white light passes through a diffraction grating, the different wavelengths of light are diffracted at slightly different angles due to their different frequencies. This results in a spectrum of colors being produced, with shorter wavelengths (such as blue and violet) being diffracted at larger angles than longer wavelengths (such as red and orange).

3. What is the relationship between the number of lines on a diffraction grating and the resulting spectrum?

The number of lines on a diffraction grating directly affects the resolution and quality of the resulting spectrum. A grating with more lines per unit length will produce a more detailed and accurate spectrum, as it can diffract the light into smaller intervals. However, it also decreases the overall intensity of the diffracted light.

4. Can diffraction gratings be used to analyze the composition of a substance?

Yes, diffraction gratings are commonly used in spectroscopy to analyze the composition of substances. By measuring the wavelengths of light that are absorbed or emitted by a substance, scientists can determine its chemical composition and properties.

5. Are there different types of diffraction gratings?

Yes, there are two main types of diffraction gratings: transmission gratings and reflection gratings. Transmission gratings are made of a transparent material with closely spaced lines, while reflection gratings are made of a reflective material with the lines being etched onto the surface. Both types have their own advantages and are used in different applications.