Time-dependent surface current density

In summary, we have an infinitely long solenoid of radius R along the z-axis, which is electrically neutral. The surface current density K is dependent on time, K(t)=Kocos(wt). To find the magnetic field B(s,t) produced inside and outside the solenoid, we initially considered using Ampere's Law but realized that it cannot be applied due to the time-dependence of the current. The Biot-Savart Law also seems too complex for this problem. We are unsure if the magnetic field outside the solenoid should be zero. Once the magnetic field is found, we may need to use Maxwell's equations to find the associated electric fields. However, it is possible to use any law as
azone
We have an infinitely long solenoid of radius R along the z-axis. The solenoid is electrically neutral. The surface current density K is dependent in time, K(t)=Kocos(wt)

Find the magnetic field B(s,t) produced for s<R (inside solenoid), s>R (outside solenoid), and the associated electric fields.

I had first considered using Ampere's Law to find the magnetic field, but realized that since the current is not constant that I can't use it. But I'm not sure if this works with time-dependence, since it is technically still a constant in terms of position (x,y,z). Can Ampere's Law be applied here? Otherwise I don't really know how to approach the problem since the Biot-Savart Law seems to be too complicated. Also, shouldn't the magnetic field outside the solenoid be zero?
And once I find out B, do I have to apply Maxwell's equations to find E?

I'm sorry I don't have an elaborate attempt, I'm really pretty stuck on this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you can use any law you want as long as the time rate of change of the quantities involved is small compared with the distance scale - which I suspect is what is expected here. Otherwise you have to deal with advanced and retarded potentials etc. If that doesn't mean anything to you than just use Ampere's and Biot-Savart.

What is time-dependent surface current density?

Time-dependent surface current density is a measure of the flow of electric charge on a surface over time. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the current as it changes over time.

How is time-dependent surface current density different from regular surface current density?

Regular surface current density is a measure of the flow of electric charge on a surface at a single moment in time, while time-dependent surface current density takes into account the change in current over a period of time.

What factors influence time-dependent surface current density?

Time-dependent surface current density can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the properties of the surface material, the shape and size of the surface, and the external electric field or current source.

How is time-dependent surface current density measured?

Time-dependent surface current density can be measured using various techniques, such as magnetic field measurements, electric field measurements, or through numerical simulations.

What are some applications of time-dependent surface current density?

Time-dependent surface current density is important in understanding and analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits, antennas, and other electromagnetic devices. It is also used in the study of corrosion and other chemical reactions on metal surfaces.