Angular Momentum of a conical pendulum

In summary, the problem involves a small metallic bob suspended from the ceiling and set in motion in a horizontal circle, creating a cone with a given length of string, angle between the string and vertical, and mass of the bob. Using the equations for moment of inertia and angular velocity, the attempt at a solution involves calculating the angular velocity and moment of inertia, but there may be a mistake in determining the radius.
Momentum09

Homework Statement

A small metallic bob is suspended from the ceiling by a thread of negligible mass. The ball is then set in motion in a horizontal circle so that the thread describes a cone.
Given: Length of string = 2.8m
Angle between string and vertical: 21 degrees
Mass of bob: 2.9kg

Homework Equations

I = mr^2
w = square root of [g/(lcos(theta)]
Momentum = I x w

The Attempt at a Solution

I first calculated the angular velocity by plugging numerical values into the equation and got 1.936 rad/s. Then, I found out the moment of inertia of the bob by multiplying 2.9 x 2.8^2 [this is the step I'm not sure of], but the answer wasn't right. Is there something I missed out?
Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The raidus is wrong. It should be r * theta

Hello, the moment of inertia for a conical pendulum is not simply the mass multiplied by the length of the string squared. The formula for the moment of inertia of a conical pendulum is I = mr^2sin^2(theta), where r is the length of the string and theta is the angle between the string and the vertical. Therefore, in this case, the moment of inertia would be 2.9 x 2.8^2 x sin^2(21) = 5.08 kg*m^2. This should give you the correct answer for the angular momentum. I hope this helps!

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the object's moment of inertia by its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to a conical pendulum?

In a conical pendulum, the mass of the object attached to the string moves in a circular path due to the tension in the string. This circular motion creates a rotational motion, which results in the object having angular momentum.

3. What factors affect the angular momentum of a conical pendulum?

The angular momentum of a conical pendulum is affected by the mass of the object, the length of the string, and the speed at which the object is moving in its circular path. The moment of inertia of the object also plays a role in determining the angular momentum.

4. How can the angular momentum of a conical pendulum be calculated?

The angular momentum of a conical pendulum can be calculated using the formula L = I * ω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

5. How does the angular momentum change as the conical pendulum swings?

As the conical pendulum swings, the angular velocity and moment of inertia may change due to external forces acting on the object. This can cause the angular momentum to increase, decrease, or remain constant depending on the direction and magnitude of these forces.