Calculating Speed of Sound in Air: Using Graphs and Harmonics

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed of sound in air through a resonance experiment using a tube and varying frequencies. It is suggested to plot a graph of frequency against 1/L in order to get a straight line and determine the speed of sound by finding the slope. The formula v = 2 * Lf is mentioned, along with the importance of identifying the correct harmonic being excited. It is also mentioned that a google search can provide similar results and the general formula for any harmonic is v = 2 L f /n.
benedwards2020
Can someone tell me how I find the speed of sound in air?

If I plot a graph of frequency against length would I be right in saying that I can find the speed of sound by finding where the two points on the graph intersect and multiplying by 2, so that

v = 2 * Lf

Physics news on Phys.org
benedwards2020 said:
Can someone tell me how I find the speed of sound in air?

If I plot a graph of frequency against length would I be right in saying that I can find the speed of sound by finding where the two points on the graph intersect and multiplying by 2, so that

v = 2 * Lf

What do you mean by "where the two points intersect"?? I am not sure what that means.

Note that if you plot f versus L, you will not get a straight line at all. But if you plot f versus one over L, then you will get a straight line and the slope will be equal to v/2. So speed = twice the slope of a f versus 1/L graph. This is clear from f = V/(2L).

What I'm trying to do is to find the speed of sound in air. I have the resonance experiment in mind where a frequency is applied to a tube of air and measurements taken of the length of the tube where resonance occurs for that particular frequency.

So what you are saying is that I should plot the frequency against 1/L? is that correct? I'm not sure I understand why I wouldn't get a straight line graph if I plotted frequency against length. (I can't recreate the experiment to find out for myself)

benedwards2020 said:
What I'm trying to do is to find the speed of sound in air. I have the resonance experiment in mind where a frequency is applied to a tube of air and measurements taken of the length of the tube where resonance occurs for that particular frequency.

So what you are saying is that I should plot the frequency against 1/L? is that correct? I'm not sure I understand why I wouldn't get a straight line graph if I plotted frequency against length. (I can't recreate the experiment to find out for myself)

I am assuming that you are varying the length and measure the fundamental frequency of the tube as a function of the length (not of excited modes), right?

You can see from the formula that f = v/(2L)

If you call f = y and L = x, you get y = c/x with c = V/2 .
If you plot a function y =c/x you don'tget a staright line since it's not of the form y = mx + b.

I want to excite the tube with a range of frequencies, and record the length where resonance occurs

I think I see what you mean about the graph not being a straight line... It needs to be in the right form...

Is there a list of similar results I could take a look at somewhere? I think I need to see for myself what is going on?

benedwards2020 said:
I want to excite the tube with a range of frequencies, and record the length where resonance occurs
I understand. The only tricky thing is to know what harmonic you are exciting. The formula you gave is only valid for the fundamental mode of a pipe open at both ends.

I think I see what you mean about the graph not being a straight line... It needs to be in the right form...

Is there a list of similar results I could take a look at somewhere? I think I need to see for myself what is going on?
I am sure that a google search would give some results. But it's pretty straightforward...just plot your points and you will get a straight line. If you get a straight line but the speed comes out to be way off, you might hav ebeen generating higher harmonics.

The general formula is

v = 2 L f /n

Ok... But isn't that formula the same as I suggested in my original post? (assuming the 1st harmonic?)

benedwards2020 said:
Ok... But isn't that formula the same as I suggested in my original post? (assuming the 1st harmonic?)

Yes, it is. I simply gave it for any harmonic. Just in case that could be useful to you.

1. What is the speed of sound in air graph?

The speed of sound in air graph is a visual representation of the relationship between the speed of sound and temperature in air. It shows that as temperature increases, the speed of sound also increases.

2. How is the speed of sound in air graph created?

The speed of sound in air graph is created by plotting the speed of sound on the y-axis and temperature on the x-axis. The data points are then connected to form a curve, which represents the relationship between the two variables.

3. What factors affect the speed of sound in air graph?

The speed of sound in air graph is affected by several factors, including temperature, humidity, and altitude. As these factors change, the speed of sound also changes.

4. Why does the speed of sound increase with higher temperature in the graph?

This is because as temperature increases, the molecules in the air move faster and collide more frequently, resulting in a higher speed of sound. This is known as the kinetic theory of gases.

5. How is the speed of sound in air graph used in real life?

The speed of sound in air graph is used in various industries, such as aviation and meteorology. It helps in calculating the distance of lightning strikes, predicting weather patterns, and designing aircrafts that can travel at supersonic speeds.