Another problem, voltage characteristic in a diode circuit

In summary, The conversation is about a question regarding finding the current in a PDF file. The person asking the question is unsure if their understanding of Ohm's Law is correct in finding the current. Another person suggests using KVL and factoring in diode drop and voltage. The original person then tries KVL on the left hand side and makes a guess for V_B and V_i, resulting in a current of 93.75 microA. The summary ends with a question about whether this answer makes sense.
amitjakob
Good morning lovely people !

As I got some really helpful advice here yesterday i though i'd try it again, hopefully you haven't yet had too much from me (-:

So my question is concerning the attached PDF file (Last problem #3)

i am asked to find the current I_B in 3a) and 3c) but to my very low understanding wouldn't it simply be Vi/Ri (Ohms Law) ??

Thanks for the patience :smile:

Attachments

• i2_f05.pdf
    175.5 KB · Views: 302
Engineering news on Phys.org
try kvl. looks like its a bjt (just zoomed in). factor in diode drop, Vi, etc etc

Thanx but ...

do you mind explaining a little bit more, I'm kinda newbie (-:
whats a bjt ?
thanks for the patience:cool:

edmondng said:
try kvl. looks like its a bjt (just zoomed in). factor in diode drop, Vi, etc etc

Tried KVL on the most left handside mesh.
Im not sure its right though ...

i guessed V_Ri + V_B = V_i then substitute V_B=0.65V (pretty sure its a bad guess) and V_i=1V (Which is given)

Yeilds I_Ri=I_B= 93.75 microA ? makes sense ?

1. What is a diode circuit?

A diode circuit is a type of electronic circuit that utilizes a diode, which is a semiconductor component that allows current to flow in only one direction. It is commonly used in various electronic devices such as computers, televisions, and power supplies.

2. What is the voltage characteristic of a diode circuit?

The voltage characteristic of a diode circuit refers to the relationship between the voltage applied to the diode and the resulting current flow. In a forward-biased diode, the current increases rapidly with a small increase in voltage, while in a reverse-biased diode, the current remains very low with increasing voltage.

3. What is the purpose of a diode in a circuit?

The main purpose of a diode in a circuit is to regulate the flow of current. It acts as a one-way valve, allowing current to flow in only one direction. This is useful in converting alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) and in protecting sensitive components from reverse current.

4. What factors influence the voltage characteristic in a diode circuit?

The voltage characteristic in a diode circuit is influenced by several factors, including the material used in the diode, the temperature, and the amount of forward or reverse bias applied. These factors can affect the diode's ability to conduct electricity and therefore impact the voltage-current relationship.

5. What is the difference between a forward-biased and reverse-biased diode?

A forward-biased diode is when the positive terminal of a voltage source is connected to the diode's anode, and the negative terminal is connected to the cathode. This allows current to flow freely through the diode. In contrast, a reverse-biased diode is when the polarity of the voltage source is reversed, causing the diode to block the flow of current. This is useful in protecting circuits from damage due to reverse current.