Determine the magnitude of the electric field

In summary, the conversation is about finding the magnitude of an electric field between two points with a potential difference of 50 V and a distance of 0.1 meters. The problem does not fit the usual pattern for electric field problems, but the relationship between force, work, and potential energy is used to derive a solution. The final answer should be 500 V.
William Bush

Homework Statement

P and Q are points within a uniform electric field that are separated by a distance of 0.1 meters as shown. The potential difference between P and Q is 50 V. Determine the magnitude fo this electric field.

Homework Equations

E=F/q
E=(k)(q)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

This problem doesn't fit the pattern of the other "electric field" problems that I have worked. The formulas above are for electric field, and electric field of a point charge; neither one fits this application because I'm not dealing with point charges so there is no value for "q" and I'm not given enough info to find "F". I'm told that the 50 V is the potential difference between P and Q but how does that info fit into my problem?

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    1 KB · Views: 2,141
Physics news on Phys.org
What's the relationship between force and work?

Thanks for the quick response!

1. Work = (F)(d); but how does this help? Should I consider the consider the 50 V between points P and Q as the force?

2. When I do so, I come up with:
E = (8.99 x 10^9)(50 x 10^-6)/0.1^2

When I plug that into my calculator I get 44950000 or 4.495 x 10^7. My soloution sheet says the answer should be 500. Neither of the numbers I got should be rounded up that far. Am I missing something?

William Bush said:
Thanks for the quick response!

1. Work = (F)(d); but how does this help?

yep, you will find that out.

So, now you know what's F equal to, and d is given.

and assuming that initially the energy between two charges was 0, what would the work equal to?

I'm sorry,...but I'm not following. Isn't the work simply equal to 50 V x .1 meters?

no, rather think about potential energy, and the way it is related to the work,
and then find a relationship between potential energy and voltage
and you just found the relationship between Electric field and force,and
between force and the work.

Okay, I got it!...my mistake was that I was trying to use E=kq/r^2. When I plugged the numbers into E=F/q it came out correct. Big thanks to rootX for the help!

so, here's the derivation in proper way:
U=qV
F=qE
Fd=U

hence V=Ed

I spoke to soon...I didn't come out correctly my way! Hope you can bear with my so that I can see if I follow your last post

yep, i knew

What does "U" stand for in your equations?

potential energy

as work = potential energy-0

I would have never been able to come up with the derivations that you listed! I didn't know that work is equal to potential energy -0; or that Fd = U. F = qE is in my textbook so I was aware of that one. I'm worried because I don't understand how you came up with those derivations.

I assumed that intially the points are at infinite distance from each other. (a common assumption)
and, then their potential energy changed to U (some value as distance between them is finite).

and work = change in potential energy

and as work = Fd

so U = Fd
U = q* voltage
and qV=qEd

1. What is the definition of electric field magnitude?

The magnitude of an electric field is a measure of the strength of the field at a particular point in space. It is defined as the force per unit charge experienced by a positive test charge placed at that point.

2. How is the electric field magnitude calculated?

The magnitude of an electric field is calculated using the formula E = F/q, where E is the electric field magnitude, F is the force experienced by the test charge, and q is the magnitude of the test charge.

3. What are the units of electric field magnitude?

The SI unit for electric field magnitude is newtons per coulomb (N/C). However, other commonly used units are volts per meter (V/m) and kilovolts per meter (kV/m).

4. How does the distance from a source affect the electric field magnitude?

The electric field magnitude decreases as the distance from the source increases. This relationship follows the inverse square law, meaning that the magnitude is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source.

5. What factors can affect the electric field magnitude?

The electric field magnitude can be affected by the charge of the source, the distance from the source, and the presence of other charges or conductive materials in the surrounding area. Additionally, the type of material the electric field is passing through can also affect its magnitude.