Mentor Away: Little or No Internet Access Until Monday

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: Evo, I found a place for you to stay in Maine rent-free, but you jumped the gun, as you always do. A little fix-up, some winter prep getting firewood lined up, and some gathering/caching of food and you would have been all set.:I'm not gone yet G01. *wonders if the freezer we store the fish in will work as a fire shield*::mad: I'd better not hear that there was a huge fish fry when I get back! That fish needs to last 'till Christmas!5 miles? You are not moving! You are just relocating locally
rewebster said:
well, you'll find out whether the cat and dog drank it or not today---soap causes diarrhea

too much soap ingested can cause dehydration too

--maybe the 'bugs' drank it

-----------------

it only needs a few drops of soap in the water to work. The soap removes the surface tension of the water in that the bugs usually have a 'waxy' or water repelling layer so they don't sink into water---it really needs a light over it too
I didn't have a light. I made it extra soapy to make sure the dumb dog wouldn't drink it. Funny, I was thinking about the soap decreasing the surface tension this morning and it reminded me of the short story "Surface tension" by James Blish. This is one of the reasons I never get enough sleep, my mind tends to wander.

Physics news on Phys.org
The light and the heat from the light is the 'bait' for the fleas to come toward it and end up in the soapy water.

rewebster said:
The light and the heat from the light is the 'bait' for the fleas to come toward it and end up in the soapy water.
I know, but I had already made the soapy water and figured I might get an accidental passerby. Now I'll never know, someone licked the dish dry.

Evo said:
I know, but I had already made the soapy water and figured I might get an accidental passerby. Now I'll never know, someone licked the dish dry.

can you block off an area to keep the larger animals out with a light tonight?

but, still you may have gotten most with the spray the other day

--------------------------------------

hey, you, with the chicken pox---did you get totally moved yet?

Last edited:
Evo said:

Do they make better tasting dish soap out there than they do over this side of the country? :yuck:

Moonbear said:
Do they make better tasting dish soap out there than they do over this side of the country? :yuck:
It was lavender and ylang ylang aromatherapy dish soap. I doubt it was tasty, but since I found the FB snacking in the cat box the other day, soap must be pretty tasty to him.

rewebster said:
hey, you, with the chicken pox---did you get totally moved yet?
Not moved and completely stressed out.

Evo said:
Not moved and completely stressed out.

OK--what's the problem here?

no time?
no help?
no truck?
no pain free days?
procrastination?
likes being stressed?

?

rewebster said:

no time?
no help?
no truck?
no pain free days?
procrastination?
likes being stressed?

?

Busy answering Rewbster's questions?

Math Jeans said:
Busy answering Rewbster's questions?

:rofl: ZING! :rofl:

rewebster said:

no time?
no help?
no truck?
no pain free days?
procrastination?
likes being stressed?

?
:cry: I'm very sad. The idiot my ex hired to help move stuff couldn't discern between plastic storage boxes I had packed to be moved and stuff piled on the floor to be discarded. He threw away some of my most priceless, irreplacable possesions. Family heirlooms passed down from the 18th century... Out of print books, my stacks of LP's from the 60's & 70's. My turntable. All of the videos taken of the girls as they grew up. My collection of Christmas ornaments dated each year for each of the girls. Most were limited editions and I was going to give them to them when they got older to remember the Christmases when we bought them.

I'm going to go cry now. And nobody loves poor Fleavo. :cry: This is going to be the worse holiday season. :cry:

Last edited:
Oh, no! Evo, that's horrible! I am so sorry to hear that! I can't believe that happened!
:frown: :frown: :frown:

Evo said:
:cry: I'm very sad. The idiot my ex hired to help move stuff couldn't discern between plastic storage boxes I had packed to be moved and stuff piled on the floor to be discarded. He threw away some of my most priceless, irreplacable possesions. Family heirlooms passed down from the 18th century... Out of print books, my stacks of LP's from the 60's & 70's. My turntable. All of the videos taken of the girls as they grew up. My collection of Christmas ornaments dated each year for each of the girls. Most were limited editions and I was going to give them to them when they got older to remember the Christmases when we bought them.

I'm going to go cry now. And nobody loves poor Fleavo. :cry: This is going to be the worse holiday season. :cry:

Get a hold of the ex to get in touch those movers----Odds are they may not have thrown the stuff away---they may have taken the stuff home to look to see if there was anything 'good' that they wanted----they may have your stuff at their home---unless you had a dumpster there at the old place that they threw it in-----I've seen this happen before

I really hope you can get the stuff back---that really, really sounds horrible--sorry to hear--

-horrible

rewebster said:
Get a hold of the ex to get in touch those movers----Odds are they may not have thrown the stuff away---they may have taken the stuff home to look to see if there was anything 'good' that they wanted----they may have your stuff at their home---unless you had a dumpster there at the old place that they threw it in-----I've seen this happen before

I really hope you can get the stuff back---that really, really sounds horrible--sorry to hear
There was a dumpster and it was hauled away. What he might have stolen is another issue.

bummer---bummer--bummer

BUMMER

---------

Insurance?-----It's not the same I know

--------------

bummer
-------------
did you talk to the mover when you found out?

Last edited:
Evo said:

: Arrggghh! :mad: (I need a belch fire smiley!)

Do I need to come out there and kick some butts and bang some heads!? Geez! Guess it's too late for that. :mad:

Can you contact the moving company or was just a couple of morons?!

Astronuc said:
Can you contact the moving company or was just a couple of morons?!

I was wondering that too. If they are with an actual moving company, while you'll never recover the actual items or their sentimental value, you can at least put in the claim for the missing items to get some monetary compensation (and if they're one of the companies that takes the fees for lost/damaged items out of the pockets of the actual movers, some of those "lost" items might suddenly get found "sitting in a corner of the truck.")

It was some moron he hired to throw out the stuff I didn't want to move. I told him to have the guy wait until I was finished so there wouldn't be any confusion. My ex said "oh no, I've told him what not to throw out. Of course who knows what my ex told him to throw out.

Last edited:
Evo said:
It was some moron he hired.

Oh, that sucks. :frown: Where are your daughters? I thought they helped arrange this apartment for you so you'd be closer to them, so shouldn't that make it easier for them to get over and help you get moved? Surely they could round up a few strong friends of theirs to lend a hand with the heavy lifting if you promise a home-cooked meal for them, or even beer and pizza, when the day of moving is done?

Moonbear said:
Oh, that sucks. :frown: Where are your daughters? I thought they helped arrange this apartment for you so you'd be closer to them, so shouldn't that make it easier for them to get over and help you get moved? Surely they could round up a few strong friends of theirs to lend a hand with the heavy lifting if you promise a home-cooked meal for them, or even beer and pizza, when the day of moving is done?
Spawn of evil came down with a severe case of ulcerative colitis and has been pretty sick, on top of working full time and in college full time. Evo Child is also working full time and in college full time and she lives in another nearby town and is exhausted.

I'm just going to sit in the dark and cry for a few weeks. That sounds good. :cry:

Oh and this morning the car key fell off the key chain and by some fluke fell into the tiny space surrounding where the seat belt closure is housed. I just finally managed to get it out after a company service technician here said there was nothing that could be done and it was going to be very expensive to take everything apart. I just kept wriggling my fingers up through the bottom of the tiny slot and flipping the key until the point went down, then I was able to pull the key the rest of the way out. What would we do without experienced highly paid professional men? :grumpy:

Last edited:
Ok, the girl next to me just e-mailed this to me to chear me up.

Aggie vet story

First-year students at Texas A&M's Vet school were receiving their first anatomy class, with a real dead cow. They all gathered around the surgery table with the body covered with a white sheet. The professor started the class by telling them, "In Veterinary Medicine it is necessary to have two important qualities as a doctor: The first is that you not be disgusted by anything involving the animal body". For an example, the Professor pulled back the sheet, stuck his finger in the butt of the dead cow, withdrew it and stuck it in his mouth. "Go ahead and do the same thing," he told his students.

The students freaked out, hesitated for several minutes. But eventually took turns sticking a finger in the anal opening of the dead cow and sucking on it.

When everyone finished, the Professor looked at them and said, "The second most important quality is observation. I stuck in my middle finger and sucked on my index finger. Now learn to pay attention. Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

well, it sounds like the ex's fault----even if you have to hire that same mover, you need to get the rest of your stuff---I'd hate to hear that you lost all of that too---just make some type of plan soon to get the rest of it--this weekend somehow, if you can---

Evo said:
Spawn of evil came down with a severe case of ulcerative colitis and has been pretty sick, on top of working full time and in college full time. Evo Child is also working full time and in college full time and she lives in another nearby town and is exhausted.

And neither of them are friends with any strapping young men who could help out for the cost of free pizza or a homecooked meal? C'mon, college students are usually easier to bribe than that!

Evo, have you ruled out the possibility that those boxes have not been dumped?

Andre said:
Evo, have you ruled out the possibility that those boxes have not been dumped?
I was wondering the same thing more or less. Could it be a mean practical joke and the boxes were diverted? Of course, deliberately throwing out something would be mean.

My dream has come true, I now have 4 fulltime squirrels and countless birds swarming my patio. I've never heard so much screaching and chattering. (the birds and squirrels don't like to share) I put the cracked corn and dry dog food under the patio chairs to make sure they're not sittings ducks for the "NOT A GOSHAWK".

I think I'm going to put one of those multi-story carpeted squirrel castles out there.

I can almost imagine that scene (almost)---are there 3 pink squirrel and 14 condors? Are they building a corn palace?

---------------
I bet you have hundreds of photos already

Last edited:
No pictures. Had about 3,000 doves on my patio yesterday, give or take 1 or 2. I have a female cardinal, she's really pretty.

We're having a blizzard. At least it's finally winter. We've already had the most days below freezing, with ice and snow so far this Autumn than in the 14 years that I've lived here.

<h2>1. What is "Mentor Away" and why is there limited internet access?</h2><p>"Mentor Away" is a program that allows students to connect with mentors and receive guidance and support for their academic and personal goals. The limited internet access until Monday is due to scheduled maintenance or technical issues that may arise.</p><h2>2. How will this limited internet access affect my progress in the program?</h2><p>The limited internet access will not affect your progress in the program as our mentors are well-prepared to work with students in offline settings. They will provide you with resources and materials that you can access during this time and will resume online interactions once internet access is restored.</p><h2>3. Can I still communicate with my mentor during this time?</h2><p>Yes, you can still communicate with your mentor through alternative methods such as phone calls, text messages, or in-person meetings if possible. Your mentor will also provide you with other means of communication, such as email or offline messaging, to stay connected during this time.</p><h2>4. Will I miss out on any important information or updates during this limited internet access?</h2><p>No, you will not miss out on any important information or updates. Your mentor will ensure that you are updated on any important information through alternative means of communication. Additionally, any missed materials or resources will be provided to you once internet access is restored.</p><h2>5. How often does "Mentor Away" have limited internet access and for how long?</h2><p>The frequency and duration of limited internet access may vary depending on the specific needs of the program. However, we strive to minimize disruptions and will inform students in advance of any scheduled maintenance or technical issues that may affect internet access. We appreciate your understanding and patience during these times.</p>

1. What is "Mentor Away" and why is there limited internet access?

"Mentor Away" is a program that allows students to connect with mentors and receive guidance and support for their academic and personal goals. The limited internet access until Monday is due to scheduled maintenance or technical issues that may arise.

2. How will this limited internet access affect my progress in the program?

The limited internet access will not affect your progress in the program as our mentors are well-prepared to work with students in offline settings. They will provide you with resources and materials that you can access during this time and will resume online interactions once internet access is restored.

3. Can I still communicate with my mentor during this time?

Yes, you can still communicate with your mentor through alternative methods such as phone calls, text messages, or in-person meetings if possible. Your mentor will also provide you with other means of communication, such as email or offline messaging, to stay connected during this time.

4. Will I miss out on any important information or updates during this limited internet access?

No, you will not miss out on any important information or updates. Your mentor will ensure that you are updated on any important information through alternative means of communication. Additionally, any missed materials or resources will be provided to you once internet access is restored.

5. How often does "Mentor Away" have limited internet access and for how long?

The frequency and duration of limited internet access may vary depending on the specific needs of the program. However, we strive to minimize disruptions and will inform students in advance of any scheduled maintenance or technical issues that may affect internet access. We appreciate your understanding and patience during these times.