IFRs, EM Waves & Moving at c Velocity: What's the Effect?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between inertial frames of reference and electromagnetic waves. It is mentioned that Maxwell's equations are valid and that relativity cannot be ignored in classical electromagnetism. The conversation also touches on the concept of Cartesian spatial dimensions and the need for relativity in understanding the behavior of EM waves.
alvaros
Inertial frames of reference ( IFRs ) and Electromagnetic ( EM ) waves.

What would happen if you move at c velocity ? ( at the same velocity of a EM wave )
Maxwell equations are valid ?
No relativity, please.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do x, y and z mean in Maxwell equations ?
They must be measured respect to an IFR ?
I have no idea.
What was the approach before 1905 ?
Any comment would be appreciated.

The models we have wouldn't make sense for a reference frame traveling at the speed of light, certainly not for matter.

Here is Maxwell's approach in 1861 - http://vacuum-physics.com/Maxwell/maxwell_oplf.pdf

x,y,z are Cartesian spatial dimensions (coordinate system), because EM fields exist in space and their magnitude (intensity) varies with distance.

J. C. Maxwell, A Dynamical Theory of the Electromagnetic Field -
http://www.journals.royalsoc.ac.uk/content/yw7lx230g0h64637/fulltext.pdf (probably best to use 'save target as'.)

Last edited by a moderator:
To Astronuc: Thank you for your answer and the links.

But I wanted somebody guide me on the path EM waves -> Relativity , not just showing the theory. I want to view the need of relativity.
Thats the reason I said "no relativity, please"
What happen if we just consider classical IFRs and EM theory ?
Some books I read state that relativity is implicit in Maxwell equations. ( ?? )

alvaros said:
relativity is implicit in Maxwell equations.

Yes, that is exactly why this thread is nonsensical.

For example, Maxwell's equations say EM waves move "at speed c". Not just "at speed c relative to the source", but always at c. At first this was interpreted to mean that Maxwell's equations are only valid in some special reference frame (the ether frame), which matches nicely with other classical waves (the speed is always constant relative to the medium) but has since contradicted experiment and inspired Einstein to propose the theory that Maxwell's equations are valid in all inertial reference frames. We can't ignore relativity in classical electromagnetism.

1. What are IFRs?

IFRs, or inertial frames of reference, are frames of reference in which an object appears to be at rest or moving with a constant velocity. These frames are useful for describing the motion of objects in relation to one another.

2. What are EM waves?

EM waves, or electromagnetic waves, are a type of wave that consists of changing electric and magnetic fields. These waves can travel through a vacuum and include visible light, radio waves, and X-rays.

3. How do EM waves interact with matter?

EM waves can interact with matter in a variety of ways, including absorption, reflection, and refraction. The type of interaction depends on the properties of both the EM wave and the matter it is interacting with.

4. Can anything travel at the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, only massless particles, such as photons, can travel at the speed of light. Objects with mass, such as particles with rest mass, cannot reach the speed of light.

5. What happens when an object travels at the speed of light?

When an object travels at the speed of light, it experiences time dilation, meaning time appears to slow down for the object. Additionally, the object's mass increases, and its length appears to contract in the direction of motion. This is known as the "relativistic effect" and is a fundamental concept in the theory of relativity.